St. Paul is the capital city of the state of Minnesota, located in the Midwestern region of the United States. It is the second-largest city in Minnesota, after Minneapolis, and is known for its vibrant arts and culture scene, as well as its historic architecture.
St. Paul was founded in 1841 and was named after the apostle Paul. The city has a rich history that includes being a major center for trade and transportation in the 19th and early 20th centuries, as well as being the location of the infamous gangster, John Dillinger’s, capture in 1934.
Today, St. Paul is home to a variety of cultural attractions, including the Science Museum of Minnesota, the Minnesota Children’s Museum, the Ordway Center for the Performing Arts, and the historic Cathedral of St. Paul. The city also has a thriving food and drink scene, with many trendy restaurants, breweries, and bars.
St. Paul is also known for its extensive park system, which includes over 170 parks and 100 miles of trails. Some of the most popular parks in St. Paul include Como Park, which features a zoo and conservatory, and Indian Mounds Park, which offers stunning views of the Mississippi River.
St. Paul is also home to several colleges and universities, including the University of St. Thomas, Macalester College, and Hamline University. The city’s diverse population and strong economy make it a popular destination for young professionals, families, and retirees alike.
- Visit the Cathedral of St. Paul – This stunning cathedral is a must-see attraction in St. Paul, featuring breathtaking architecture and beautiful artwork.
- Explore the Minnesota State Capitol – The capitol building is a historic landmark in St. Paul and offers guided tours and exhibits.
- Visit the Science Museum of Minnesota – This interactive museum features hands-on exhibits on science, technology, and natural history.
- Take a stroll through the Como Park Zoo and Conservatory – This popular attraction features a zoo with a variety of animals and a conservatory with exotic plants.
- Attend a performance at the Ordway Center for the Performing Arts – The Ordway is a world-class performing arts venue that hosts concerts, plays, and musicals.
- Walk along the Mississippi River – St. Paul sits along the banks of the Mississippi River, offering beautiful views and trails for hiking and biking.
- Visit the Minnesota Children’s Museum – This museum is perfect for families with young children, featuring interactive exhibits and activities.
- Explore the Minnesota History Center – This museum offers exhibits on the history and culture of Minnesota, including Native American history, Minnesota’s role in the Civil War, and more.
- Attend a Minnesota Wild hockey game – The Wild is St. Paul’s professional hockey team, and games are a popular attraction in the city.
- Take a tour of the James J. Hill House – This historic mansion was once the home of railroad magnate James J. Hill and features beautiful architecture and period furnishings.
- Visit the Landmark Center – This historic building was once a courthouse and now serves as a cultural center, hosting exhibits, events, and performances.
- Explore the Como Park Japanese Garden – This peaceful garden features a variety of Japanese plants, water features, and sculptures.
- Take a walk through the Rice Park – This picturesque park is located in downtown St. Paul and features beautiful gardens and a fountain.
- Visit the Wabasha Street Caves – These historic caves were once used as a speakeasy during Prohibition and now offer tours and events.
- Take a tour of the Summit Avenue Historic District – This neighborhood features beautiful historic homes, including the Governor’s Residence.
- Attend a concert at the Xcel Energy Center – This arena is a popular venue for concerts, sporting events, and other performances.
- Visit the Minnesota Landscape Arboretum – This expansive garden features a variety of plants and flowers, as well as walking and biking trails.
- Take a tour of the Cathedral of St. Paul’s crypt – The cathedral’s crypt houses the remains of several bishops and archbishops and features beautiful architecture.
- Go ice skating at the Wells Fargo WinterSkate – This outdoor ice rink is located in downtown St. Paul and is a popular attraction during the winter months.
- Attend the Minnesota State Fair – The state fair is held annually in St. Paul and features a variety of food, music, and entertainment.
- Explore the Union Depot – This historic train station now serves as a transportation hub and event space, hosting concerts and other events.
- Visit the Minnesota Zoo – This popular attraction is located just outside of St. Paul and features a variety of animals from around the world.
- Take a tour of the Summit Brewing Company – This local brewery offers tours and tastings of their award-winning beers.