Newark is a city located in the state of New Jersey, in the northeastern United States. It is the largest city in New Jersey and is located approximately 8 miles west of New York City. The city has a population of around 282,000 people, making it the 73rd most populous city in the United States.
Newark is known for its history as a major transportation hub, with Newark Liberty International Airport being one of the busiest airports in the United States. The city is also home to several major universities and colleges, including Rutgers University, the New Jersey Institute of Technology, and Seton Hall University.
Despite its reputation for being an industrial and transportation hub, Newark has undergone significant revitalization in recent years. The city has a vibrant arts and culture scene, with numerous museums, galleries, and theaters. Newark is also home to several sports teams, including the New Jersey Devils hockey team and the Newark Bears minor league baseball team.
Newark has faced significant challenges in the past, including high crime rates and economic inequality. However, the city has made significant strides in recent years to address these issues and improve the quality of life for its residents.
Here are 25 fun things to do in Newark, New Jersey,
- Visit the Newark Museum: This museum has an extensive collection of American and international art, as well as exhibits on science and natural history.
- Walk through Branch Brook Park: This park is home to the largest collection of cherry blossom trees in the United States, making it a popular destination during the spring.
- See a performance at the New Jersey Performing Arts Center: This venue hosts a variety of performances, from classical music to Broadway shows.
- Explore the Ironbound neighborhood: This neighborhood is known for its Portuguese and Brazilian culture, as well as its numerous restaurants and shops.
- Visit the Prudential Center: This arena is home to the New Jersey Devils hockey team and hosts a variety of concerts and other events.
- Take a tour of the Cathedral Basilica of the Sacred Heart: This ornate cathedral is a must-see for architecture and history buffs.
- See a movie at the Newark Screens: This movie theater is located in the heart of downtown Newark and often shows independent and foreign films.
- Visit the Military Park: This park is home to numerous monuments and memorials, including a statue of President John F. Kennedy.
- Check out the Newark Public Library: This library has a vast collection of books and other materials, as well as regular events and workshops.
- Explore the Newark Arts District: This area is home to numerous galleries, studios, and art spaces, as well as regular art walks and events.
- Visit the City Without Walls gallery: This gallery showcases the work of local and regional artists and hosts regular exhibitions and events.
- See a show at the Newark Symphony Hall: This historic venue hosts a variety of performances, including music, dance, and theater.
- Take a walking tour of downtown Newark: There are several guided tours available that highlight the history and architecture of the city.
- Visit the Newark Museum of Art: This museum showcases the work of contemporary artists from around the world, as well as local and regional artists.
- Attend a concert at NJPAC’s TD James Moody Jazz Festival: This annual festival brings together some of the world’s top jazz musicians for a week of concerts and events.
- Visit the Cherry Blossom Welcome Center: This center provides information on the cherry blossom trees in Branch Brook Park and hosts a variety of events during the cherry blossom season.
- Explore the Riverfront Park: This park is located along the Passaic River and offers great views of the city skyline.
- Take a tour of the Prudential headquarters: This iconic building is one of the tallest in Newark and offers great views of the city from the top floors.
- Visit the Newark Museum of History: This museum showcases the history of Newark, from its founding to the present day.
- Check out the Newark Print Shop: This community print shop offers workshops and classes on printmaking and hosts regular exhibitions and events.
- See a play at the Newark Shakespeare Festival: This annual festival brings together actors and directors from around the world to perform Shakespeare’s plays in Newark’s parks.
- Visit the Newark Art Supply Co.: This art supply store is a great place to stock up on supplies and also hosts regular workshops and events.
- Take a cooking class at La Cocina: This community kitchen offers classes and workshops on cooking and nutrition, as well as hosting regular events and pop-up restaurants.
- See a show at the Newark Black Film Festival: This annual festival showcases the work of black filmmakers and brings together audiences and filmmakers from around the world.
- Visit the Newark Museum of Technology: This museum showcases the history of technology, from early inventions to modern innovations.