Chattanooga is a city located in southeastern Tennessee, United States. With a population of over 180,000 people, it is the fourth-largest city in the state. Chattanooga is situated at the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains, along the Tennessee River, and is surrounded by stunning natural scenery.
The city has a rich history and was an important industrial center during the 19th and early 20th centuries. Today, Chattanooga is known for its vibrant arts and culture scene, outdoor activities, and tourist attractions.
Chattanooga has a humid subtropical climate, with hot summers and mild winters. The city has a variety of parks and green spaces, as well as a network of bike paths and walking trails that make it easy to explore the area.
Here are 30 fun things to do in Chattanooga:
- Visit the Tennessee Aquarium – This popular attraction is home to over 12,000 animals and features both freshwater and saltwater exhibits.
- Take a ride on the Lookout Mountain Incline Railway – This historic railway offers stunning views of the city and surrounding mountains.
- Explore the Chattanooga Riverwalk – This scenic trail follows the Tennessee River and offers beautiful views of the city skyline.
- Visit the Chattanooga Choo Choo – This historic train station has been converted into a hotel and entertainment complex, with restaurants, shops, and a vintage train ride.
- Take a stroll through the Bluff View Art District – This charming neighborhood is home to a variety of galleries, shops, and restaurants.
- Visit the Hunter Museum of American Art – This museum features a collection of over 10,000 works of American art, from colonial times to the present day.
- Take a kayak or paddleboard tour of the Tennessee River – This is a great way to explore the city’s waterways and enjoy the scenery.
- Explore the Chattanooga Zoo – This zoo is home to over 700 animals, including red pandas, chimpanzees, and snow leopards.
- Visit the Creative Discovery Museum – This children’s museum features interactive exhibits on science, technology, and the arts.
- Go rock climbing at High Point Climbing and Fitness – This indoor climbing gym features over 30,000 square feet of climbing walls, as well as yoga and fitness classes.
- Take a tour of the Chattanooga Whiskey Distillery – This local distillery offers tours and tastings of their award-winning whiskey.
- Visit the Chattanooga Market – This weekly outdoor market features local vendors selling produce, crafts, and food.
- Take a scenic drive on the Lookout Mountain Scenic Highway – This winding road offers stunning views of the surrounding mountains and valleys.
- Go on a ghost tour of downtown Chattanooga – This guided tour explores the city’s haunted history and paranormal activity.
- Visit the International Towing and Recovery Museum – This unique museum features exhibits on the history of towing and recovery vehicles and equipment.
- Take a bike tour of the city – Chattanooga has a variety of bike-friendly routes and trails, and many local companies offer guided tours.
- Visit the Songbirds Guitar Museum – This museum features a collection of rare and vintage guitars, as well as interactive exhibits and live music.
- Go on a riverboat cruise – This is a great way to see the city from the water and learn about its history.
- Explore the Ruby Falls Cavern – This underground waterfall is located inside Lookout Mountain and can be accessed through guided tours.
- Take a hike in the nearby Chattanooga National Forest – This forest offers miles of hiking trails and opportunities for wildlife viewing and camping.
- Visit the Battles for Chattanooga Museum – This museum features exhibits on the Civil War battles that took place in the area.
- Take a tour of the Cravens House – This historic home was built in 1863 and served as a headquarters during the Civil War.
- Go on a zip line tour of Lookout Mountain – This thrilling experience offers beautiful views of the surrounding landscape.
- Visit the Chattanooga Brewing Company – This local brewery offers tours and tastings of their craft beer.
- Explore the Chattanooga Public Library – This state-of-the-art library features a rooftop garden and a variety of resources and events for all ages.
- Take a hot air balloon ride – This is a unique way to see the city and surrounding mountains from above.
- Visit the Southern Belle Riverboat – This historic riverboat offers dinner cruises, sightseeing tours, and live entertainment.
- Visit the Walnut Street Bridge – This pedestrian bridge spans the Tennessee River and offers beautiful views of the city skyline.
- Explore the Chattanooga Market Street District – This neighborhood is home to a variety of shops, restaurants, and art galleries, and is a great place to explore on foot.
- Take a tour of the Chattanooga Coca-Cola Bottling Company – This local bottling plant offers tours and tastings of their famous soda.