Cedar Rapids is a city located in the state of Iowa in the United States. It is the second-largest city in the state and is the county seat of Linn County. The city is located on the Cedar River, which flows through the city and provides opportunities for outdoor recreation and water-based activities.
Cedar Rapids has a rich history that dates back to the 1800s, and the city has seen significant growth and development over the years. It is home to a diverse population and a thriving economy, with major employers in industries such as healthcare, education, and manufacturing.
The city has a strong cultural scene, with a variety of museums, art galleries, and performing arts venues. Cedar Rapids is also known for its parks and outdoor spaces, including the Cedar Rapids Ice Arena, Noelridge Park, and the Indian Creek Nature Center.
Cedar Rapids is easily accessible by road, rail, and air, with several major highways passing through the city and a regional airport providing regular flights to destinations across the United States.
Here are the top 30 fun things to do in Cedar Rapids, Iowa:
- Visit the Cedar Rapids Museum of Art – The museum features works by regional artists as well as notable American artists such as Grant Wood.
- Explore the Brucemore Historic Site – The estate offers tours of the mansion and gardens, as well as special events and concerts.
- See a show at the Paramount Theatre – The historic theater hosts a variety of performances including plays, concerts, and ballets.
- Visit the National Czech & Slovak Museum & Library – The museum showcases the history and culture of Czech and Slovak people in America.
- Take a walk through the Cedar Rapids Ice Arena – The arena is home to the Cedar Rapids RoughRiders hockey team and offers ice skating to the public.
- Go shopping at Lindale Mall – The mall features over 100 stores, including major retailers and local boutiques.
- Enjoy a picnic at Bever Park – The park offers a playground, hiking trails, and sports fields, as well as a historic carousel.
- Watch a movie at the Collins Road Theatres – The theater features comfortable seating and a wide selection of films.
- Explore the Indian Creek Nature Center – The center offers hiking trails, educational programs, and interactive exhibits on Iowa’s natural environment.
- Take a guided tour of the African American Museum of Iowa – The museum features exhibits on the history and culture of African Americans in Iowa.
- Visit the Czech Village/New Bohemia District – The neighborhood offers a variety of shops, restaurants, and cultural events.
- Take a stroll through the historic Cedar Rapids downtown area – The area features a variety of shops, restaurants, and entertainment options.
- Attend a Cedar Rapids Kernels minor league baseball game – The team plays at the Veterans Memorial Stadium.
- Play a round of golf at one of the city’s several golf courses – Cedar Rapids offers a variety of public and private courses.
- Take a brewery tour at Lion Bridge Brewing Company – The brewery offers tours and tastings of their craft beers.
- See a concert at the McGrath Amphitheatre – The outdoor venue hosts a variety of musical acts and events.
- Go swimming at the Noelridge Aquatic Center – The center features multiple pools and water slides for all ages.
- Take a family outing to the Ushers Ferry Historic Village – The village features interactive exhibits and demonstrations of life in the 1800s.
- Attend a performance at Theatre Cedar Rapids – The community theater offers a variety of plays and musicals throughout the year.
- Visit the Czech and Slovak Heritage Festival – The annual festival features traditional food, music, and dance.
- Go rock climbing at Climb Iowa – The indoor climbing gym offers classes and equipment rental for all levels of climbers.
- Check out the NewBo City Market – The market features local vendors selling fresh produce, baked goods, and artisanal products.
- Take a cooking class at the Culinary Loft – The loft offers a variety of classes on cooking techniques and cuisines.
- Attend the Cedar Rapids BBQ Roundup – The annual event features regional BBQ vendors and live music.
- See a play at the Giving Tree Theater – The intimate theater features a variety of productions throughout the year.
- Visit the Cedar Rapids Farmer’s Market – The weekly market features local vendors selling fresh produce and artisanal products.
- Go kayaking or paddleboarding on the Cedar River – The river offers opportunities for water-based recreation and scenic views of the city.
- Take a trip to the Amana Colonies – The historic colonies offer a variety of shops, restaurants, and cultural events.
- Attend the Iowa Arts Festival – The annual festival features a variety of art vendors,
- Visit the Eastern Iowa Observatory and Learning Center – The center offers a chance to explore the night sky and learn about astronomy through telescopes, exhibits, and educational programs.