Omaha is a city located in the Midwestern United States, specifically in the state of Nebraska. It is the largest city in Nebraska and the county seat of Douglas County. As of the 2020 United States Census, the city had an estimated population of 478,192.
Omaha is situated on the banks of the Missouri River and is known for its rich history, cultural diversity, and vibrant arts and music scenes. It is also home to several notable landmarks and attractions, such as the Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium, the Durham Museum, and the Old Market.
The economy of Omaha is diverse, with industries ranging from agriculture and manufacturing to finance and healthcare. Some of the largest employers in the city include the University of Nebraska Medical Center, Mutual of Omaha, and Union Pacific Railroad.
Omaha is also a major transportation hub, with several major highways and a busy airport. The city is served by Omaha’s Eppley Airfield, which offers non-stop flights to over 30 destinations across the United States.
Here are 20 fun things to do in Omaha City:
- Visit the Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium: This world-renowned zoo is home to thousands of animals, including rare and endangered species.
- Explore the Old Market: This historic district is filled with boutique shops, restaurants, and entertainment venues.
- Walk or bike along the Bob Kerrey Pedestrian Bridge: This unique bridge spans the Missouri River and offers beautiful views of the city.
- See the wildlife at the Lee G. Simmons Conservation Park and Wildlife Safari: This 440-acre park is home to a variety of wildlife, including bison, elk, and white-tailed deer.
- Discover Omaha’s history at the Durham Museum: This museum is housed in the historic Union Station and features exhibits on Omaha’s past.
- Catch a game or event at the CHI Health Center Omaha: This arena hosts a variety of sporting events, concerts, and shows throughout the year.
- Take a stroll through the Lauritzen Gardens: These botanical gardens feature beautiful landscapes, water features, and seasonal exhibits.
- Learn about aviation history at the Strategic Air Command & Aerospace Museum: This museum features exhibits on the history of air power and space technology.
- Visit the Joslyn Art Museum: This museum features a collection of over 11,000 works of art from around the world.
- Explore the Joslyn Castle: This historic mansion was built in the late 19th century and features beautiful architecture and gardens.
- Enjoy a performance at the Orpheum Theater: This historic theater hosts a variety of live performances, including plays, musicals, and concerts.
- See a movie at the Alamo Drafthouse Cinema: This movie theater offers a unique dining and movie experience.
- Visit the Heartland of America Park: This park features a beautiful lake, fountains, and walking paths.
- Explore the Omaha Children’s Museum: This museum offers interactive exhibits and activities for children of all ages.
- Tour the Boys Town campus: Boys Town is a nationally recognized organization that provides care for at-risk children and families.
- Visit the Fontenelle Forest Nature Center: This nature center features hiking trails, a bird sanctuary, and interactive exhibits.
- Experience the Omaha Symphony: This symphony performs a variety of classical and modern works throughout the year.
- Play at the Fun-Plex Amusement Park and Water Park: This amusement park features water slides, rides, and attractions for all ages.
- Explore the Omaha Public Library: This library system offers a variety of resources and events for readers of all ages.
- Visit the Omaha Farmers Market: This outdoor market features fresh produce, artisanal foods, and handmade crafts.