Huntsville is a city located in northern Alabama, in the United States. It is the fourth-largest city in Alabama and is known for its strong presence in the technology and aerospace industries. Huntsville is also home to several universities, museums, and outdoor recreational areas.
The city was founded in 1805 by John Hunt, and throughout its history, it has played a significant role in the development of rocket technology and space exploration. The city’s economy is now driven by technology and aerospace industries, with companies such as NASA, Boeing, and Lockheed Martin having a significant presence in the area.
Huntsville is also home to several cultural and recreational attractions, including the Huntsville Botanical Garden, the U.S. Space and Rocket Center, and the Monte Sano State Park. The city has a rich history and offers plenty of opportunities for visitors to explore its past and present.
Here are the top 30 fun things to do in Huntsville City:
- Visit the U.S. Space and Rocket Center – This museum features exhibits on space exploration and rocket technology, as well as a planetarium and an IMAX theater.
- Explore the Huntsville Botanical Garden – This 112-acre garden features a variety of themed gardens, a butterfly house, and walking trails.
- Take a hike at Monte Sano State Park – This park offers hiking trails, camping sites, and stunning views of the surrounding area.
- Visit the Huntsville Museum of Art – This museum features a collection of American art, as well as traveling exhibitions.
- Check out the Huntsville Historic Depot – This restored train station now serves as a museum, featuring exhibits on the history of railroads in the area.
- Go shopping at Bridge Street Town Centre – This open-air shopping center features a variety of shops, restaurants, and entertainment options.
- Visit the Von Braun Center – This multipurpose venue hosts concerts, sporting events, and other performances throughout the year.
- Attend a Huntsville Havoc hockey game – The Huntsville Havoc is a professional ice hockey team that plays at the Von Braun Center.
- Explore the Alabama Constitution Village – This historic village features reconstructed buildings from Huntsville’s early history, as well as living history demonstrations.
- Attend the Panoply Arts Festival – This annual arts festival features live music, visual arts, and performing arts.
- Visit the EarlyWorks Children’s Museum – This interactive museum is designed for children and features exhibits on history, science, and art.
- Take a stroll through the Big Spring International Park – This park features a large spring, walking paths, and several historic landmarks.
- Explore the Huntsville Ghost Walk – This guided walking tour takes visitors through the historic district of Huntsville, sharing stories of local hauntings and legends.
- Visit the North Alabama Railroad Museum – This museum features historic railroad cars and engines, as well as train rides on certain weekends.
- Attend a Huntsville Symphony Orchestra performance – This professional orchestra performs classical and pops concerts throughout the year.
- Take a tour of the historic Twickenham district – This neighborhood features restored homes from the 1800s and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
- Go kayaking on the Flint River – This scenic river offers opportunities for kayaking and canoeing.
- Visit the Harmony Park Safari – This drive-thru safari park features a variety of animals, including zebras, giraffes, and camels.
- Explore the Monte Sano Nature Preserve – This nature preserve features hiking trails and scenic overlooks.
- Attend a Huntsville Stars baseball game – The Huntsville Stars is a minor league baseball team that plays at Joe W. Davis Stadium.
- Visit the Lowe Mill Arts and Entertainment – This former textile mill has been transformed into a center for arts and entertainment, featuring galleries, studios, and live performances.
- Take a tour of the historic Weeden House Museum – This historic home features exhibits on local history and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
- Go rock climbing at High Point Climbing and Fitness – This indoor rock climbing gym offers a variety of climbing walls and classes for all skill levels.
- Explore the Huntsville Greenway System – This network of walking and biking trails spans more than 70 miles throughout the city.
- Visit the Huntsville Public Library – This public library features a variety of programs and events for all ages, as well as a large collection of books and other media.
- Take a tour of the Redstone Arsenal – This military installation houses the U.S. Army Aviation and Missile Command, as well as several
- Visit the North Alabama Japanese Garden – This beautiful garden features a koi pond, waterfalls, and traditional Japanese landscaping.
- Attend the Monte Sano Art Festival – This annual festival features over 100 artists displaying their works, as well as live music and food vendors.
- Go on a food tour of Huntsville – Several companies offer guided food tours of the city, taking visitors to local restaurants and highlighting the city’s culinary scene.
- Visit the Huntsville Havoc Hall of Fame – This museum features exhibits on the history of the Huntsville Havoc hockey team, including memorabilia and interactive displays.
- Take a brewery tour – Huntsville is home to several breweries, and visitors can take tours to learn about the brewing process and sample different beers.
- Attend the Huntsville Comic and Pop Culture Expo – This annual event features celebrity guests, cosplayers, and vendors selling comics and other pop culture merchandise.