Columbus is a city located in the central part of the state of Ohio, United States. It is the capital and largest city in the state, with an estimated population of around 900,000 people as of 2021. Columbus is known for its diverse economy, thriving arts and culture scene, and high quality of life.
The city is home to several major universities, including The Ohio State University, which is one of the largest universities in the country. The city also has a strong healthcare industry, with several major hospitals and medical centers.
Some of the top attractions in Columbus include the Columbus Museum of Art, which features a collection of American and European art; the Franklin Park Conservatory and Botanical Gardens, which features over 400 plant species from around the world; and the Center of Science and Industry (COSI), which is a hands-on science museum.
Columbus also has a vibrant downtown area with plenty of shopping, dining, and entertainment options. Some of the major events in Columbus include the Ohio State Fair, the Columbus Arts Festival, and the Columbus International Film and Video Festival.
Overall, Columbus is a dynamic and growing city with a strong economy, a thriving arts and culture scene, and plenty of things to see and do.
Here are 30 fun things to do in Columbus:
- Visit the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium – This world-renowned zoo is home to thousands of animals from around the world.
- Explore the Franklin Park Conservatory and Botanical Gardens – This beautiful botanical garden features exotic plants and stunning glass artwork.
- Check out the Center of Science and Industry (COSI) – This hands-on science museum is fun for all ages.
- Visit the Ohio Statehouse – This historic building is the seat of the Ohio state government.
- See a show at the Ohio Theatre – This historic theater hosts concerts, Broadway shows, and other performances.
- Go shopping in the Short North Arts District – This trendy neighborhood is filled with unique shops, art galleries, and restaurants.
- Take a stroll through the German Village – This charming neighborhood is known for its well-preserved historic architecture.
- See the Columbus Museum of Art – This museum features a collection of American and European art.
- Visit the National Veterans Memorial and Museum – This museum honors the service and sacrifice of U.S. veterans.
- Check out the Columbus Commons – This urban park features concerts, food trucks, and other events.
- Go on a brewery tour – Columbus is home to several popular breweries, including BrewDog and Columbus Brewing Company.
- Take a walk or bike ride along the Scioto Mile – This scenic riverfront park features trails, fountains, and public art.
- Visit the Ohio History Center – This museum features exhibits on the history of Ohio and its people.
- See a concert at the Schottenstein Center – This arena hosts major concerts, sporting events, and other shows.
- Check out the Columbus Crew Stadium – This soccer stadium is home to the Columbus Crew SC.
- Go on a food tour – Columbus is known for its diverse and delicious food scene, with many unique restaurants and local flavors.
- Take a hike or bike ride in the Hocking Hills – This nearby nature reserve features stunning natural landscapes and hiking trails.
- See a performance at the Palace Theatre – This historic theater hosts concerts, comedy shows, and other events.
- Visit the Ohio Village – This living history museum recreates life in Ohio during the 19th century.
- Explore the North Market – This indoor market features local vendors selling fresh produce, artisanal foods, and more.
- Go to the Columbus Arts Festival – This annual festival features local and national artists, music, and food.
- Visit the Columbus Idea Foundry – This maker space features classes, workshops, and studio space for artists and creators.
- See a movie at the Gateway Film Center – This indie theater shows a mix of new releases and classic films.
- Take a tour of the Ohio Stadium – This iconic stadium is home to the Ohio State Buckeyes football team.
- Go on a hot air balloon ride – Columbus is a great place to take in scenic views from high above.
- Visit the Topiary Park – This unique park features life-size sculptures of people and animals made from plants.
- Check out the Columbus Zoo Wildlights – This holiday event features festive light displays throughout the zoo.
- Take a cooking class – Columbus has many cooking schools and culinary workshops for foodies.
- Visit the Columbus Metropolitan Library – This award-winning library system has many branches throughout the city.
- Go on a walking tour of the city – Columbus has many historic and cultural neighborhoods to explore, and a guided walking tour can be a great way to see them.