Charlotte is a city located in the state of North Carolina in the southeastern United States. It is the largest city in the state and the 17th largest city in the country, with a population of over 885,000 people.
The city is a major economic hub, with a thriving financial sector, a growing technology industry, and a diverse range of businesses. It is home to several Fortune 500 companies, including Bank of America and Duke Energy.
Charlotte is also known for its rich history and culture. The city was named after Queen Charlotte, the wife of King George III of England, and has a number of historic sites and landmarks, including the Mint Museum, the Levine Museum of the New South, and the Charlotte Museum of History.
The city is also home to several vibrant neighborhoods, each with their own unique character and attractions. Uptown Charlotte is the city’s central business district and home to many of its largest skyscrapers, while South End is known for its artsy vibe and trendy restaurants and bars.
Charlotte is also a sports town, with a strong fan base for its professional sports teams, including the Charlotte Hornets (NBA), the Carolina Panthers (NFL), and Charlotte FC (MLS).
Overall, Charlotte is a dynamic and growing city with a rich history, vibrant culture, and diverse range of attractions. It is a popular destination for visitors and a great place to live, work, and play.
Here are 30 fun things to do in Charlotte:
- Visit the NASCAR Hall of Fame – This museum celebrates the history of stock car racing.
- Explore the U.S. National Whitewater Center – This outdoor recreational center has whitewater rafting, ziplining, and more.
- Visit the Levine Museum of the New South – This museum explores the history of the American South.
- See a show at the Blumenthal Performing Arts Center – This downtown venue hosts theater, dance, and music performances.
- Walk through the Daniel Stowe Botanical Garden – This garden features beautiful plants and flowers throughout the year.
- Explore the Charlotte Museum of History – This museum covers the history of Charlotte and the surrounding area.
- Take a tour of the NASCAR Charlotte Motor Speedway – This racetrack is one of the most famous in the world.
- Go on a brewery tour – Charlotte has a thriving craft beer scene, with many local breweries to explore.
- Visit the Mint Museum Uptown – This art museum has a collection of contemporary art and craft.
- See a game at Bank of America Stadium – This is the home stadium of the Carolina Panthers NFL team.
- Go to a Charlotte Hornets NBA game – The Hornets play at the Spectrum Center in Uptown Charlotte.
- Visit the Freedom Park – This park has trails, a lake, and a playground.
- Take a tour of the Billy Graham Library – This museum celebrates the life and legacy of evangelist Billy Graham.
- Walk through the Charlotte Rail Trail – This urban trail connects several neighborhoods and has art installations along the way.
- Visit the Carolinas Aviation Museum – This museum has a collection of historic airplanes.
- Explore the Bechtler Museum of Modern Art – This museum has a collection of mid-20th-century modern art.
- Take a day trip to Lake Norman – This nearby lake offers boating, fishing, and other water activities.
- Visit the Discovery Place Science Museum – This museum has interactive exhibits and a 3D theater.
- Take a walking tour of the city’s street art – Charlotte has a growing collection of murals and street art.
- See a performance at the Charlotte Symphony – This orchestra performs at the Knight Theater in Uptown Charlotte.
- Go to a Charlotte Independence soccer game – This team plays at the Sportsplex at Matthews.
- Take a stroll through Romare Bearden Park – This park has a splash pad, gardens, and a playground.
- Visit the Historic Rosedale Plantation – This historic home and garden offers tours and events.
- Explore the NoDa neighborhood – This artsy neighborhood has galleries, shops, and restaurants.
- Go on a food tour of the city’s culinary scene – Charlotte has a diverse and growing food scene.
- Visit the Duke Energy Center for the Arts – This venue hosts theater, dance, and music performances.
- See a film at the Studio Movie Grill – This movie theater has food and drink service during the movie.
- Go to the Charlotte Folk Society Gathering – This event features live music performances and jam sessions.
- Take a ghost tour of Charlotte – This tour explores the city’s haunted history.
- Visit the UNC Charlotte Botanical Gardens – This garden has a collection of native plants and flowers.