Akron City is a city located in the state of Ohio, United States. It is the fifth-largest city in Ohio and the county seat of Summit County. The city has a population of around 197,000 people (according to the 2020 census), making it the 119th largest city in the United States.
Akron was founded in 1825 by Simon Perkins and Paul Williams, and it became a hub for the rubber industry in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. It was home to companies such as Goodyear Tire & Rubber and Firestone Tire & Rubber, and it earned the nickname “Rubber Capital of the World.”
Today, Akron has diversified its economy, with major employers in fields such as healthcare, education, and technology. The city is also home to the University of Akron, a public research university with over 20,000 students.
Akron is known for its vibrant arts and culture scene, with venues such as the Akron Art Museum and EJ Thomas Performing Arts Hall. It also has numerous parks and outdoor recreation areas, including the Cuyahoga Valley National Park, which is located just outside the city.
Here are 30 fun things to do in Akron City
- Visit the Akron Art Museum – This museum features contemporary art exhibitions, and its collection includes over 5,000 works of art.
- Explore the Stan Hywet Hall and Gardens – This historic estate is a great place to learn about Akron’s history and architecture, and the gardens are a beautiful place to walk around.
- Take a tour of the Goodyear Blimp Hangar – This is a unique experience to see how the Goodyear blimps are made and maintained.
- Go hiking at the Cuyahoga Valley National Park – This park is just outside Akron and offers over 125 miles of trails, waterfalls, and scenic views.
- Visit the Akron Zoo – The Akron Zoo features over 700 animals from around the world, including tigers, penguins, and kangaroos.
- Attend a concert or event at the Blossom Music Center – This outdoor amphitheater hosts concerts and events throughout the summer and is located in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park.
- Check out the Akron Children’s Museum – This interactive museum is perfect for kids, with exhibits on science, art, and music.
- Visit the Akron Civic Theatre – This historic theater hosts concerts, plays, and movies and has a stunning interior with ornate decorations.
- See a performance at the E.J. Thomas Hall – This performing arts center hosts a variety of shows, including theater, dance, and music.
- Go to a game at the Canal Park – This minor league baseball stadium is home to the Akron RubberDucks and has a great atmosphere.
- Explore the Akron Fossils and Science Center – This museum features exhibits on fossils, dinosaurs, and geology.
- Visit the Akron-Summit County Public Library – This library is a great place to relax, read, or attend events and workshops.
- See a show at the Weathervane Playhouse – This community theater has been around for over 80 years and puts on a variety of plays and musicals.
- Check out the Akron Honey Company – This local company sells honey and honey-related products and offers tours of their facility.
- Go bowling at the Stonehedge Entertainment – This bowling alley also features laser tag, arcade games, and a restaurant.
- Visit the MAPS Air Museum – This aviation museum features exhibits on planes, helicopters, and aviation history.
- Go ice skating at the Akron Ice House – This ice rink is open year-round and offers public skating sessions and ice hockey leagues.
- Visit the Akron Civic Garden Center – This garden center features a variety of plants and flowers and hosts workshops and events.
- Take a brewery tour at the Akron Brewing Company – This local brewery offers tours and tastings of their craft beers.
- Go shopping at the Chapel Hill Mall – This indoor shopping mall features over 100 stores, restaurants, and a movie theater.
- Visit the Akron Food Tours – These guided tours take you to some of the best local restaurants and breweries in Akron.
- Go to the Akron Farmers Market – This outdoor market features fresh produce, baked goods, and crafts from local vendors.
- Explore the Akron-Summit County History Center – This museum features exhibits on Akron’s history, including the rubber industry and the Civil War.
- Visit the Akron Glass Works – This glass studio offers glassblowing classes and demonstrations.
- Go to a comedy show at the Funny Stop Comedy Club – This comedy club features local and national comedians and has a full bar and restaurant.
- Check out the Akron Roller Derby – This roller derby team competes throughout the year and is a fun and exciting
- Take a stroll through the Cascade Valley Metro Park – This park features hiking trails, waterfalls, and scenic views of the Cuyahoga River.
- Attend a performance at the Akron Symphony Orchestra – This orchestra performs classical and modern music and has won numerous awards for its performances.
- Visit the National Inventors Hall of Fame – This museum honors inventors who have made significant contributions to science and technology and features interactive exhibits.
- Go on a bike ride on the Ohio & Erie Canal Towpath Trail – This trail is a popular destination for biking and offers scenic views of the Cuyahoga River and historic landmarks.