Traveling with Children by Motorcycle: Regulations and Tips for Choosing a Helmet
Are you riding with children and do not know how to choose the right helmet for them? Here are some tips to help you choose the most suitable children’s helmet for your child.
The regulations do allow children to ride as passengers on a motorcycle, but with limitations. According to the General Traffic Regulations, it is forbidden to circulate with children under 12 as passengers on motorcycles or mopeds, but it establishes exceptions for those over 7 years old.
If the child is over 7 years old and the driver is her father, mother, guardian or authorized person of legal age, she may ride a motorcycle as a passenger.
For maximum safety, the child riding a motorcycle must meet the following requirements:
- It is compulsory to use an approved helmet of the corresponding size. The case must be properly fastened and it is very important that it fits your size to prevent it from being displaced in the event of an accident.
- You must be sitting astride; one leg on each side, always in a seat behind the driver. In specialized stores you will find special seats for the child to ride a motorcycle with greater safety, since they prevent lateral displacement.
- Your feet must rest on the side footrests. Footrest extensions are available on the market for shorter children.
- The clothing must be adequate, that is, pants resistant to abrasion in the event of a fall, a jacket with protections, gloves that are also resistant and with protections and high shoes or boots for greater protection.
Important facts about motorcycle helmets for children
When traveling by motorcycle, you have to take into account that your body becomes the body of the vehicle in the event of a fall. Unfortunately motorcycles or mopeds are one of the most vulnerable road users along with pedestrians and cyclists. For this reason, special attention must be paid to the safety of the rider and passenger, especially in cases when the passenger is a child.
The helmet is the main element of protection that a motorcyclist and his companion have. In case of children, special care must be taken to choose the right helmet according to their size as said previously. The data shows that 20% of helmets are thrown off due to a poor choice of size or not being properly fastened, according to the World Health Organization.
So, Which helmet is ideal for children?
Due to the important role that the helmet has in the protection of the child who travels by motorcycle, it is necessary to follow the following recommendations:
- Choose a quality helmet, with good protection. The most recommended is the full-face helmet because it protects both the skull and the child’s face. In the market you will find good helmets with a variety of prices.
- It is recommended that it is made of resistant and light materials, such as carbon fiber, or glass, with polycarbonate.
- Choose a children’s helmet with the appropriate size. Due to the morphological characteristics of children, you should not opt for an adult helmet in its smallest size, because its weight is not adapted to the head of children and it will be very heavy, uncomfortable and even dangerous.
- Check the helmet periodically to guarantee its maximum effectiveness.
- For the practice of motocross, there are specific helmets for children as well.
To ensure that the correct children’s helmet is chosen, the child should try it on with their hair down and, if they wear glasses, put them on after wearing the helmet to check that the temples are not over-tightened. It will be the right size as long as it is tight, press lightly on the cheeks, but do not feel pain.
A quality motorcycle helmet of the appropriate size and with integral protection for children, will be the best ally for the safety of the child who rides a motorcycle. In addition, nowadays there is also a bluetooth helmet, which makes motorcycle riding more secure and enhances the safety of the rider and passenger.