Ways To Handle Social Pressure
103 total views, 1 views today
We all live in a society that is full of people. You see your peers around you. These peers can be your friends, colleagues, people with similar interests, experience, age. Also, you find people whom you may not agree with. Still, we have to live stress-free lives which may not be possible.
We all go through peer pressure in our lifetime. Dealing with it is not a cup of tea for everyone. Many times, the social pressures depress you and you feel stressed. This pressure makes us go against our will.
Some examples of peer and social pressure are:
- Acting in a certain way.
- Copying someone’s work and allowing others to copy your work.
- Not including certain people in social events or other gatherings.
- Taking dangerous and unnecessary risks while driving.
- Taking drugs and alcohol.
- Engaging in sexual activity.
- Portraying a false image on social media or the public.
Find below some ways that can help you to deal with social pressure:
- Remember, the advice you receive may not be always right
Always remember, no one is perfect at giving advice. The person giving you advice may not be the perfect person and can give you the wrong advice.
Even if you get failures in the work you do, strive hard for it, and do not leave the job uncompleted. Even if you get advice, stay focused on your goals, instead of listening and focusing on their thoughts.
- Make yourself immune to the doubters
It is obvious that no one can be 100% immune from what doubters say. Still, you need to stay away from their thoughts. Do not pay attention to those who doubt you and your work.
To defend yourself from such people, you need strong points and ideas to defeat their thoughts.
It is better to surround yourself with positive-minded people.
- Start visualizing
This is the best thing that you need to start doing. Imagine yourself in a position that you always dreamed of. Imagine all your dreams coming true. Imagine that you have a happy and satisfying life that you always wanted.
- Be practical
You always have to be practical. Think positive and be practical. Also remember, failure is a part of life. Even if you fail, do not get disappointed.
Remember that you have learned a lot from your failures and this will be a building block for your future.
- Be mindful of body language
Body language is an important factor while communicating. Make eye contact, remain calm, and communication is a clear no. Distance yourself from potential trouble.
When you have the opportunity to learn something new, do it. Practice skills you are not good at and learn it. Set time aside to learn new skills.
- Reinforce values
When you make a choice, stick to it. What is right for you may not be right for another one. But, stick to your thoughts.
- Evaluate friendships
If you are finding yourself uncomfortable with your friends, leave such a company. Have a company of good friends who motivate you and inspire you.
There are ample reasons to get stressed and worried apart from the reasons mentioned above.
You also must have seen many people facing depression and stress. Do you know what depression is and what you can do about it?
Sadness, feeling low, and loss of interest in day to activities are feelings that you feel when you are depressed. Depression is very common and it affects adults, children, and adolescence.
Depression is a mood disorder that involves a feeling of sadness and loss of interest. Find below signs and symptoms of depression:
- Depressed mood.
- You do not find the activities and tasks interesting that you once enjoyed.
- Changes in appetite.
- Sudden weight loss or weight gain.
- Sleeping too much or very less.
- Loss of energy, dull, and fatigue.
- Feeling guilty and worthless.
- Difficulty in making decisions and concentrating on work.
- Repeated thoughts of suicide or death.
Depression is more common in women. For them, depression is nearly twice as compared to men.
The females experience the below-mentioned symptoms when they face depression:
- Mood swings
- Have negative thoughts in mind
Male with depression are more likely to consume alcohol, show anger, and engage in risk-taking activities.
Symptoms of depression in male include:
- Avoid family and maintaining social distancing.
- Working too long without taking breaks.
- Unable to keep family and work responsibility.
- Abusing a lot and change in behavior in relationships.
In college students:
Nowadays, finding depression among children is not new. Check below the symptoms to find depression in college students.
- Difficulty doing homework and other academic work.
- Insomnia or sleeping too much.
- Increase or decrease in appetite.
- Avoiding social events and gatherings.
Find what are the causes of depression:
The medical community still hasn’t figured out the exact reasons for having depression. Although many evident factors result in depression.
- Genetic features
- Environmental factors
- Social factors
- Psychological reasons and changes in the brain’s neurotransmitter level
- Bipolar disorder
If you are facing depression, you may take the below-mentioned treatments:
Discussing problems with your family and providing full support to the family members.
Consult or talk to a therapist online to find solutions to your problems.
Consult a doctor and take prescribed medicines and steps.
Psychotherapy works best when you face depression, anxiety, and stress. It is good to consult a Gold Coast Psychologist or choose e counselling to remove such problems.
These experts aim to help people by identifying:
- Emotional problems that affect your relationships.
- Problems affecting your mood.
- Reasons for depression.
- Observe in detail about you.
Whenever you face the above-mentioned symptoms, get in touch with a counsellor without making any delay. The more delay you do, the more problems it creates.
Do not hide your problems, be vocal about it, and do not be ashamed of sharing it. Take help immediately when you notice these symptoms. Health always comes first. Make it your priority and take the necessary steps to get rid of it. Contact a therapist or counselling without any delay.