Hyperbaric oxygen therapy involves breathing pure oxygen while inside a pressurized chamber. The increased pressure causes the oxygen to dissolve in your body tissues and blood, which rapidly stimulates healing and may help reverse symptoms of the disease.
Hyperbaric oxygen therapy London is used to treat conditions that require oxygen at high, but not very high altitudes. It is also used to help prevent altitude sickness and improve metabolism and stamina in athletes who participate in altitude-triggered sports such as skiing and mountaineering.
Hyperbaric Oxygen Chamber therapy can be performed in a hospital or clinic setting or at home. The doctor will order blood or urine tests before beginning the treatment so that appropriate adjustments can be made if needed.
In severe cases, it may take several months for symptoms to disappear completely, but people who are treated with hyperbaric oxygen therapy in the hyperbaric chamber usually notice a dramatic improvement after just a few treatments.
Why it’s done
Your body’s tissues need oxygen to function properly. Unfortunately, some diseases and injuries can damage the tissues and keep oxygen from reaching them. Hyperbaric oxygen therapy may improve anemia, which is a lack of red blood cells that carry oxygen throughout the body.
Hyperbaric oxygen therapy is used to treat these conditions:
•Acute carbon monoxide poisoning
•Air embolisms (air bubbles in your bloodstream) caused by blood clots or gas leaks
The treatment of a variety of medical diseases includes the use of hyperbaric oxygen therapy. In addition, several applications may be found in the medical field. If you suffer from any of the following ailments, your physician may recommend that you undergo hyperbaric oxygen therapy:
- Severe anemia
- Brain abscess
- Crushing injury
- Bubbles of air in your blood vessels (arterial gas embolism)
- Deafness, sudden
- Carbon monoxide poisoning
- Decompression sickness
- Non Healing wounds, such as a diabetic foot ulcer
- Infection of skin or bone that causes tissue death
- Radiation injury
- Traumatic brain injury
- Skin graft or skin flap at risk of tissue death
- Vision loss, sudden and painless
Hyperbaric Oxygen Treatment may cause:
- Damage to the middle ear is caused by variations in air pressure, including the leakage of fluid and the rupture of the eardrum
- Myopia, or nearsightedness, is only transitory and is produced by changes in the eye lenses.
- The collapse of the lungs as a result of fluctuating air pressure (barotrauma)
- Convulsions brought on by oxygen poisoning occur when the central nervous system is exposed to an excessive amount of oxygen.
- Decreased levels of blood sugar in diabetic patients who are being treated with insulin
- Under some conditions, there is a higher risk of fire due to the oxygen-rich atmosphere of the treatment chamber.
Types of hyperbaric oxygen chambers
Hyperbaric oxygen therapy uses 2 types of chambers:
This is a one-person chamber that is generally used for a patient and a doctor to perform the treatment directly. The medical benefits of hyperbaric oxygen therapy are well-known. It is a very long tube made out of plastic that resembles an MRI scanner. The patient makes their way inside the enclosure. It is steadily compressed with oxygen that makes up one hundred per cent of the total.
This hyperbaric chamber, or room, is designed for single-patient use and is generally used for treating a group of patients. The distinction is that individuals breathe oxygen that has been purified by means of masks or hoods. During your treatment, there is a possibility that a technician may join you in the chamber.
This is a very useful and effective procedure that can help a person get over many illnesses. The doctors usually use this procedure in the case of victims of carbon monoxide poisoning, as well as in chronic wound patients and burn patients. In these cases where you are dealing with serious injuries or illness, hyperbaric oxygen therapy is an excellent treatment option for recovery purposes. By using this treatment process, you will have a much better chance to heal from your illness. You will also see the results better than before because of the healing powers of hyperbaric oxygen therapy.