Wichita is the largest city in the U.S. state of Kansas and the county seat of Sedgwick County. Located in the south-central part of the state, Wichita has a population of over 389,000 people as of the 2020 Census, making it the 51st-largest city in the United States.
Wichita is a major industrial and cultural hub of Kansas. The city has a diverse economy that includes manufacturing, healthcare, education, and aerospace industries. Wichita is known as the “Air Capital of the World” due to its long history as a center of aircraft production. Companies such as Boeing, Spirit AeroSystems, and Textron Aviation are headquartered or have major operations in Wichita.
Wichita also has a vibrant arts and cultural scene, with a number of museums, theaters, and music venues. The city is home to several notable museums, including the Wichita Art Museum, the Museum of World Treasures, and the Kansas Aviation Museum. Wichita also hosts several annual events and festivals, such as the Wichita Riverfest, the largest community celebration in Kansas.
Overall, Wichita is a thriving city that offers a high quality of life for its residents, with plenty of amenities, attractions, and opportunities for work and recreation.
Here are 15 fun things to do in Wichita City
- Visit the Sedgwick County Zoo – The Sedgwick County Zoo is one of the largest zoos in the United States and houses over 3,000 animals representing more than 400 species. Visitors can explore the various exhibits, watch animal feedings, and even interact with some of the animals.
- Check out the Wichita Art Museum – The Wichita Art Museum has a collection of over 10,000 works of art, including American art, Asian art, and contemporary art. The museum also hosts rotating exhibits and offers educational programs for visitors of all ages.
- Take a stroll through the Botanica Gardens – Botanica Gardens is a 17-acre garden located in the heart of Wichita. Visitors can explore the different gardens, including a butterfly garden, a wildflower meadow, and a Chinese garden, as well as attend special events and concerts.
- Catch a baseball game at Lawrence-Dumont Stadium – Lawrence-Dumont Stadium is a baseball stadium located in downtown Wichita. It is home to the Wichita Wind Surge, a minor league baseball team affiliated with the Miami Marlins.
- Visit the Museum of World Treasures – The Museum of World Treasures is a museum that showcases artifacts from around the world, including ancient civilizations, natural history, and military history.
- Explore Old Town Wichita – Old Town Wichita is a historic district that features brick-lined streets, unique shops, restaurants, and entertainment venues.
- See a show at the Orpheum Theatre – The Orpheum Theatre is a historic theatre that hosts a variety of events, including concerts, plays, and musicals.
- Attend a concert or event at INTRUST Bank Arena – INTRUST Bank Arena is a 15,000-seat multi-purpose arena that hosts concerts, sporting events, and other entertainment.
- Visit the Kansas Aviation Museum – The Kansas Aviation Museum is a museum that highlights the history of aviation in Kansas and features exhibits on aviation pioneers, military aviation, and aerospace manufacturing.
- Take a tour of the Coleman Factory Outlet – The Coleman Factory Outlet is a retail store that offers discounted camping gear, outdoor equipment, and home goods.
- Go fishing at Lake Afton – Lake Afton is a 258-acre lake located southwest of Wichita that offers fishing, boating, and camping opportunities.
- Visit the Keeper of the Plains – The Keeper of the Plains is a 44-foot tall steel sculpture that stands at the confluence of the Arkansas and Little Arkansas rivers in downtown Wichita. It is a symbol of the city and is surrounded by a plaza and park.
- See a movie at the Warren Theatre – The Warren Theatre is a luxury movie theatre that offers high-quality sound and picture, as well as a dine-in experience.
- Visit the Great Plains Nature Center – The Great Plains Nature Center is a museum and wildlife reserve that showcases the natural history of the Great Plains region.
- Check out the Wichita Public Library – The Wichita Public Library is a public library system that offers a variety of services, including books, media, and educational programs.