Visalia is a city located in the San Joaquin Valley in California, United States. It is the county seat of Tulare County and is situated approximately 230 miles south of San Francisco and 190 miles north of Los Angeles.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 37.6 square miles (97.4 km²), of which 37.5 square miles (97.2 km²) is land and 0.1 square mile (0.2 km²) is water. As of the 2020 census, the population of Visalia was approximately 140,000 people.
Visalia is known for its agricultural industry, particularly for citrus and grapes. It is also home to a number of historic landmarks, including the Fox Theatre, the Visalia Water Tower, and the Visalia Cemetery. The city has a vibrant downtown area with numerous restaurants, shops, and entertainment venues. Additionally, Visalia is located near several national parks, including Sequoia National Park and Kings Canyon National Park.
Here are 30 fun things to do in Visalia, California,
- Visit Sequoia National Park: Sequoia National Park is located just a short drive from Visalia and is home to some of the world’s largest trees. Visitors can hike, camp, and explore the park’s stunning natural beauty.
- Take a stroll through the Visalia Farmers Market: The Visalia Farmers Market offers fresh produce, artisanal products, and other locally made goods. It’s a great place to sample the flavors of the Central Valley.
- Tour the Fox Theatre: The Fox Theatre is a historic landmark in Visalia that hosts concerts, plays, and other performances. The building itself is an architectural gem, with a stunning Art Deco facade.
- Walk or bike the Santa Fe Trail: The Santa Fe Trail is a popular walking and biking trail that runs through the heart of Visalia. It’s a great way to explore the city’s natural beauty.
- Visit the Visalia Adventure Park: The Visalia Adventure Park is an amusement park with mini-golf, go-karts, laser tag, and other attractions. It’s a great place for families to spend the day.
- Explore the Tulare County Museum: The Tulare County Museum showcases the history and culture of the Central Valley. It features exhibits on everything from agriculture to Native American history.
- Take a scenic drive through the Sequoia foothills: The Sequoia foothills offer stunning views of the Sierra Nevada mountains and the Central Valley. Visitors can take a leisurely drive or go on a more challenging hike.
- Attend a Visalia Rawhide baseball game: The Visalia Rawhide is a minor league baseball team that plays in the California League. Their games are a fun and affordable way to spend an afternoon or evening.
- Visit the ImagineU Children’s Museum: The ImagineU Children’s Museum is a hands-on museum where kids can learn through play. It features exhibits on science, art, and more.
- Take a hot air balloon ride: Hot air balloon rides offer a unique way to see the Central Valley from above. Visitors can enjoy stunning views of the mountains and farmland.
- Go horseback riding in the foothills: Horseback riding is a popular activity in the Sequoia foothills. Visitors can take guided tours through the mountains and explore the area’s natural beauty.
- Visit the Kaweah Oaks Preserve: The Kaweah Oaks Preserve is a nature preserve that’s home to a variety of wildlife, including birds, deer, and coyotes. Visitors can explore the trails and enjoy the scenery.
- Take a day trip to Kings Canyon National Park: Kings Canyon National Park is located about 90 minutes from Visalia and offers stunning natural beauty. Visitors can hike, camp, and explore the park’s many attractions.
- Attend a concert at the Cellar Door: The Cellar Door is a music venue in Visalia that hosts local and national acts. It’s a great place to catch a show and support the local music scene.
- Visit the Mooney Grove Park: Mooney Grove Park is a popular park in Visalia that offers picnic areas, walking trails, and a lake. It’s a great place to spend a relaxing day outdoors.
- Take a wine tasting tour: The Central Valley is home to a number of wineries that offer tastings and tours. Visitors can sample some of the region’s best wines and learn about the winemaking process.
- Explore the COS Art Gallery: The COS Art Gallery is a student-run gallery at College of the Sequoias. It features exhibits of local and student art.
- Visit the Visalia Public Library: The Visalia Public Library offers a variety of books, DVDs, and other materials. It’s also a great place to study, attend workshops, and participate in book clubs.
- Go on a brewery tour: The Central Valley is home to a number of craft breweries that offer tours and tastings. Visitors can sample some of the region’s best beers and learn about the brewing process.
- Attend a performance at the Enchanted Playhouse Theatre: The Enchanted Playhouse Theatre is a children’s theater that hosts plays, musicals, and other performances. It’s a great place to introduce kids to the world of theater.
- Take a pottery class at the Clay Cafe: The Clay Cafe offers pottery classes for all ages and skill levels. Visitors can learn to make bowls, mugs, and other ceramic pieces.
- Visit the College of the Sequoias Planetarium: The College of the Sequoias Planetarium offers shows on astronomy and space exploration. It’s a great place for families to learn about the universe.
- Take a yoga class at The Source: The Source is a wellness center in Visalia that offers yoga classes, meditation sessions, and other wellness services. Visitors can relax and rejuvenate their bodies and minds.
- Go on a bird watching tour: The Central Valley is home to a variety of bird species, including eagles, hawks, and falcons. Visitors can take guided bird watching tours and see these magnificent creatures up close.
- Visit the Visalia Convention Center: The Visalia Convention Center hosts a variety of events, including trade shows, conferences, and concerts. It’s a great place to see what’s happening in the community.
- Take a dance class at Creative Movement Center: The Creative Movement Center offers dance classes for all ages, including ballet, tap, jazz, and hip hop. Visitors can learn new moves and have fun dancing.
- Visit the Visalia Art League Gallery: The Visalia Art League Gallery features exhibits of local and regional artists. Visitors can see a variety of artwork, including paintings, sculptures, and photography.
- Go on a historic walking tour: Visalia has a rich history, and visitors can explore it through guided walking tours. These tours offer a glimpse into the city’s past and its many historic landmarks.
- Take a pottery painting class at Color Me Mine: Color Me Mine offers pottery painting classes for all ages. Visitors can choose from a variety of ceramic pieces and paint their own designs.