Sioux Falls is a city in the U.S. state of South Dakota, located in the southeastern part of the state. With a population of around 200,000 people, it is the largest city in the state and serves as a regional center for commerce, industry, and healthcare. The city is situated on the banks of the Big Sioux River and is known for its beautiful parks, historic landmarks, and vibrant downtown area.
Sioux Falls was originally inhabited by Native American tribes, including the Dakota and Lakota Sioux, before European settlers arrived in the mid-1800s. The city was founded in 1856 and has since grown to become a major economic and cultural hub for the region. Today, Sioux Falls is home to a variety of industries, including healthcare, finance, and manufacturing, as well as numerous museums, art galleries, and cultural institutions.
Some popular attractions and things to do in Sioux Falls include visiting Falls Park, which features a beautiful waterfall and historic mill, exploring the sculptures and artwork at the SculptureWalk, learning about the history of the region at the Old Courthouse Museum, and enjoying the many parks and outdoor recreation areas throughout the city. The Great Plains Zoo and Delbridge Museum of Natural History is also a popular attraction for families, as is the Washington Pavilion of Arts and Science, which features a variety of exhibits and hands-on activities for all ages.
Additionally, Sioux Falls is known for its vibrant downtown area, which features a variety of restaurants, bars, and entertainment venues. The area is home to a number of annual festivals and events, including the Sioux Falls JazzFest, the Sioux Empire Fair, and the Sioux Falls Film Festival.
Overall, Sioux Falls offers a unique blend of history, culture, and natural beauty, making it a great destination for visitors of all ages and interests.
Here are 30 fun things to do in Sioux Falls:
- Visit Falls Park – This beautiful park features a stunning waterfall, a historic mill, and scenic walking paths.
- Explore the SculptureWalk – This outdoor exhibit features dozens of sculptures by local and international artists throughout downtown Sioux Falls.
- Learn about local history at the Old Courthouse Museum – This museum features exhibits on the history of the region, including exhibits on Native American culture, pioneer life, and more.
- Check out the Great Plains Zoo and Delbridge Museum of Natural History – This zoo features a variety of animals from around the world, as well as an extensive collection of fossils and other natural history exhibits.
- Experience the Washington Pavilion of Arts and Science – This venue offers a variety of exhibits, performances, and educational programs, including a science center, art galleries, and a theater.
- Take a bike ride on the Sioux Falls Bike Trail – This 26-mile trail winds through the city and offers beautiful views of the Big Sioux River.
- Visit the Butterfly House and Aquarium – This attraction features a variety of tropical butterflies and exotic marine life, as well as interactive exhibits and educational programs.
- Explore the Pettigrew Home and Museum – This historic home belonged to one of Sioux Falls’ founding fathers and now serves as a museum showcasing local history and culture.
- Go shopping at the Empire Mall – This shopping center features over 140 stores, including many popular retailers and restaurants.
- Catch a movie at the State Theatre – This historic theater has been recently renovated and now offers a variety of films and events.
- Enjoy a picnic at Sertoma Park – This park features picnic areas, playgrounds, and beautiful gardens.
- Take a brewery tour at one of Sioux Falls’ many craft breweries – Many local breweries offer tours and tastings of their unique brews.
- Attend a concert or event at the Denny Sanford Premier Center – This arena hosts a variety of concerts, sports events, and other entertainment.
- Explore the Mary Jo Wegner Arboretum and East Sioux Falls Historic Site – This park features over 300 acres of native plants and historic landmarks.
- Play a round of golf at one of Sioux Falls’ many golf courses – The city has several highly-rated courses, including Willow Run Golf Course and Bakker Crossing Golf Course.
- Visit the Sioux Empire Fair – This annual event features rides, games, livestock shows, and more.
- Learn about the history of aviation at the South Dakota Air and Space Museum – This museum features exhibits on the history of flight, including aircraft and space memorabilia.
- Take a tour of the Sioux Falls Regional Airport – This airport offers tours of its facilities and operations, as well as educational programs for students.
- Check out the Sioux Falls Farmer’s Market – This popular market features local vendors selling fresh produce, crafts, and more.
- Go ice skating at the Scheels IcePlex – This indoor ice rink offers public skating sessions and skating lessons.
- Explore the Sioux Falls Greenway – This system of trails and parks runs along the Big Sioux River and offers beautiful views of the city.
- Visit the Children’s Museum of South Dakota – This museum offers interactive exhibits and educational programs for kids of all ages.
- Take a walking tour of downtown Sioux Falls – Many local tour companies offer guided tours of the city’s historic landmarks and buildings.
- Enjoy a meal at one of Sioux Falls’ many restaurants – The city offers a wide range of dining options, from casual cafes to upscale fine dining establishments.
- Attend a performance at the Sioux Empire Community Theatre – This community theater offers a variety of plays and musicals throughout the year.
- Go fishing at one of Sioux Falls’ many lakes and streams – The city and surrounding areas offer a variety of fishing opportunities, including catfish, bass, and trout.
- Take a scenic drive through the rolling hills and farmland of the surrounding countryside – The area surrounding Sioux Falls offers beautiful views of rural South Dakota.
- Visit the USS South Dakota Battleship Memorial – This monument honors the USS South Dakota and its crew, who served in World War II.
- Attend a sporting event at the Sanford Pentagon – This multi-purpose arena hosts a variety of sporting events, including basketball, volleyball, and wrestling.