McAllen is a city in southern Texas, located in the Rio Grande Valley region. It is the largest city in Hidalgo County and the fifth-largest in the state. The city is situated on the border with Mexico, across from the city of Reynosa.
McAllen is known for its warm climate, with hot summers and mild winters, as well as its vibrant cultural scene and outdoor recreational opportunities. The city is home to several museums and art galleries, including the International Museum of Art and Science, the McAllen Heritage Center, and the Nuevo Santander Gallery.
In addition, McAllen is a popular destination for birdwatching, with several parks and nature reserves located in and around the city. The Quinta Mazatlan, a historic mansion and birding center, is a particularly popular spot for bird enthusiasts.
The city also has a thriving economy, with a strong focus on international trade and commerce. McAllen is home to several large retail centers, including the La Plaza Mall, which attracts shoppers from both sides of the border.
Overall, McAllen is a diverse and dynamic city with a rich cultural heritage and a vibrant economy.
Here are 30 fun things to do in McAllen City
- Explore the International Museum of Art and Science – This museum features interactive exhibits that showcase science and art.
- Visit the McAllen Nature Center – This nature preserve offers hiking trails and birdwatching opportunities.
- Walk the McAllen Hike and Bike Trail – This trail winds through the city and offers scenic views of the Rio Grande.
- Shop at La Plaza Mall – This large shopping center features over 1 million square feet of retail space.
- Tour the McAllen Heritage Center – This museum showcases the history and culture of the city.
- Visit the Quinta Mazatlan – This historic mansion is now a nature center that offers guided tours and birdwatching opportunities.
- Attend a performance at the McAllen Performing Arts Center – This state-of-the-art venue hosts concerts, plays, and other performances.
- Explore the McAllen Public Library – This modern library offers a variety of books, resources, and events.
- Take a guided tour of the city – Several tour companies offer guided tours of McAllen and the surrounding area.
- Visit the McAllen Convention Center – This large venue hosts conventions, trade shows, and other events.
- Watch a movie at the Cinemark Movie Bistro – This theater offers a dine-in experience with food and drinks.
- Play a round of golf at Palm View Golf Course – This 18-hole course offers scenic views of the Rio Grande Valley.
- Go ice skating at Frio Grande Valley Ice Center – This indoor ice rink offers public skating sessions and lessons.
- Attend a festival or event – McAllen hosts several festivals and events throughout the year, including the Texas Citrus Fiesta and the Palm Fest International Folklife Celebration.
- Visit the South Texas College Art Gallery – This gallery showcases works by local artists and hosts exhibitions throughout the year.
- Explore the McAllen Farmers Market – This weekly market offers fresh produce, baked goods, and artisanal products.
- Take a cooking class at the McAllen Culinary Institute – This culinary school offers classes for both novice and experienced cooks.
- Visit the McAllen Veterans Memorial – This memorial honors the sacrifices of local veterans.
- Explore the McAllen Convention and Visitors Bureau – This organization offers information and resources for visitors to the city.
- Attend a concert or event at the Oval Park – This outdoor venue hosts concerts and events throughout the year.
- Take a fitness class at the McAllen Parks and Recreation Department – This department offers a variety of fitness classes and programs for all ages.
- Visit the McAllen Art Walk – This monthly event showcases the work of local artists and offers live music and refreshments.
- Go birdwatching at the Santa Ana National Wildlife Refuge – This nature preserve offers excellent birdwatching opportunities.
- Explore the McAllen Public Works Department – This department offers educational tours and resources on waste management and recycling.
- Attend a sports event at the McAllen Sports Complex – This complex hosts a variety of sports events throughout the year.
- Take a yoga class at a local studio – Several yoga studios in McAllen offer classes for all skill levels.
- Visit the McAllen Creative Incubator – This space offers resources and support for local artists and entrepreneurs.
- Go bowling at Flamingo Bowl – This bowling alley offers 32 lanes and a variety of games and activities.
- Take a dance class at a local studio – Several dance studios in McAllen offer classes for all skill levels and styles.
- Visit the McAllen Firemen’s Park – This park offers playgrounds, sports fields, and picnic areas.