Longmont is a city located in Boulder and Weld counties in the state of Colorado, United States. It is situated approximately 16 miles northeast of Boulder and 33 miles northwest of Denver. As of the 2020 census, the population of Longmont was around 100,000 people.
Longmont is known for its scenic views of the Rocky Mountains and its vibrant downtown area. The city has a rich history, dating back to the early 19th century when it was founded by a group of Chicago investors. In the early 20th century, Longmont became known for its agricultural production, particularly sugar beets.
Today, Longmont is a thriving city with a diverse economy. It is home to a number of major corporations, including Seagate Technology and the DigitalGlobe satellite imaging company. The city also has a strong small business community, with many local shops and restaurants.
Longmont offers a range of recreational opportunities for residents and visitors alike. The city has over 1,500 acres of parks and open spaces, including the popular Roosevelt Park and Kanemoto Park. The St. Vrain Greenway, a scenic trail that runs through the heart of the city, is a popular spot for walking, biking, and fishing.
Other notable attractions in Longmont include the Longmont Museum and Cultural Center, which offers exhibits on local history and culture, and the Left Hand Brewing Company, a popular craft brewery. The city also hosts several annual events, including the Longmont Farmers Market, the Longmont Jazz Festival, and the Longmont Oktoberfest.
- Visit the Longmont Museum and Cultural Center – This museum offers exhibits on local history and culture, as well as art galleries and educational programs.
- Explore the St. Vrain Greenway – This scenic trail runs through the heart of the city and offers opportunities for walking, biking, and fishing.
- Visit the Left Hand Brewing Company – This popular craft brewery offers tours and tastings of its award-winning beers.
- Take a hot air balloon ride – Several companies in Longmont offer hot air balloon rides over the city and surrounding countryside.
- Go hiking at Rabbit Mountain Open Space – This park offers miles of hiking trails with stunning views of the Rocky Mountains.
- Visit the Boulder County Farmers Market – This farmers market is held in Longmont every Saturday and features fresh produce, artisanal goods, and live music.
- Tour the Leanin’ Tree Museum and Sculpture Garden – This museum features Western art and sculptures, as well as a gift shop and cafe.
- Play a round of golf at the Ute Creek Golf Course – This championship golf course offers 18 holes of challenging play.
- Attend the Longmont Oktoberfest – This annual event features live music, food, and beer from local breweries.
- Visit the Sandstone Ranch Visitor and Learning Center – This center offers exhibits on the natural and cultural history of the area, as well as educational programs.
- Take a cooking class at the Kitchen Company – This culinary shop offers cooking classes for all skill levels, from beginners to advanced chefs.
- Go ice skating at the Longmont Ice Pavilion – This outdoor rink is open during the winter months and offers public skating, lessons, and special events.
- Attend a concert at the Dickens Opera House – This historic venue features live music and entertainment in a beautiful setting.
- Take a tour of the Oskar Blues Brewery – This popular brewery offers tours and tastings of its award-winning beers.
- Visit the Dougherty Museum – This museum features a collection of antique automobiles and vintage bicycles.
- Go rock climbing at the Tangerine Dream Climbing Gym – This indoor climbing gym offers a range of climbing routes for all skill levels.
- Take a guided tour of the Button Rock Preserve – This nature preserve offers stunning views of the Rocky Mountains and opportunities for hiking, fishing, and wildlife viewing.
- Attend the Longmont Farmers Market – This farmers market is held on Saturdays during the summer months and features fresh produce, artisanal goods, and live music.
- Visit the Longmont Public Library – This modern library offers a wide selection of books, multimedia resources, and educational programs for all ages.
- Take a pottery class at Crackpots Pottery Studio – This studio offers classes and workshops for all skill levels, as well as pottery painting and other activities.
- Go fishing at Union Reservoir – This popular fishing spot offers opportunities for boating, swimming, and picnicking as well.
- Attend the Longmont Symphony Orchestra – This professional orchestra offers classical concerts and educational programs throughout the year.
- Visit the Longmont Theatre Company – This community theater company offers a range of productions, from classic plays to modern dramas.
- Take a yoga class at Full Circle Yoga – This yoga studio offers classes for all skill levels, as well as workshops and events.
- Go on a brewery tour with Front Range Brewery Tours – This tour company offers guided tours of local breweries, including transportation and tastings.
- Attend the Longmont Chalk Art Festival – This annual event features local artists creating stunning chalk art on the streets of downtown Longmont.
- Go on a bike ride on the Longmont-to-Boulder Regional Trail – This 13-mile trail connects Longmont and Boulder, offering scenic views of the foothills and opportunities for biking, walking, and running.
- Visit the WOW! Children’s Museum – This museum offers interactive exhibits and educational programs for children ages 1-11.
- Attend the Longmont Jazz Festival – This annual event features live jazz music from local and national musicians, as well as food and craft vendors.
- Explore the historic Old Town Longmont – This area is home to a number of shops, restaurants, and galleries, as well as historic buildings and landmarks.