Lakewood is a city located in Los Angeles County, California, in the United States. It has a population of approximately 80,000 people and covers an area of about 9 square miles (23 km²). Lakewood is known for its suburban neighborhoods, parks, and schools.
The city was incorporated in 1954, and it was one of the largest post-World War II planned communities in the United States. Its original developers envisioned a “dream city” that would provide affordable homes for young families seeking to own their own homes. As a result, the city is made up of many single-family homes, and the streets are arranged in a grid pattern.
Lakewood has a diverse economy that includes retail, manufacturing, healthcare, and education. The city is also home to the Lakewood Center, a large shopping mall with over 200 stores and restaurants. In addition, Lakewood has several parks and recreational facilities, including the Mayfair Park and the Lakewood Golf Course.
Overall, Lakewood is a vibrant community with a strong sense of civic pride and a commitment to providing a high quality of life for its residents.
Here are 30 fun things to do in and around Lakewood City,
- Visit the Lakewood Center Mall: The Lakewood Center Mall is a popular shopping destination with over 200 stores and restaurants.
- Go golfing at the Lakewood Golf Course: The Lakewood Golf Course is an 18-hole public course that is known for its challenging layout and scenic views.
- Explore the San Gabriel Mountains: The San Gabriel Mountains are located just a short drive from Lakewood and offer a range of outdoor activities, including hiking, camping, and skiing.
- Take a bike ride through the city: Lakewood has a number of bike-friendly roads and trails that are perfect for a leisurely ride.
- Visit the Long Beach Museum of Art: The Long Beach Museum of Art is located just a few miles from Lakewood and features a collection of contemporary art and stunning views of the Pacific Ocean.
- Go to the movies: The Lakewood Center Mall has a movie theater that shows the latest blockbuster films.
- Check out the local farmers market: The Lakewood Farmers Market is held on Saturdays and features fresh produce, baked goods, and other locally made products.
- Play a game of tennis: Lakewood has several public tennis courts that are available for use.
- Take a dance class: The city offers a range of dance classes, including salsa, ballroom, and hip hop.
- Go bowling: The Lakewood Bowl is a popular bowling alley that offers both open and league play.
- Visit the Long Beach Aquarium of the Pacific: The Long Beach Aquarium of the Pacific is located just a few miles from Lakewood and features a range of marine life, including sharks, sea lions, and penguins.
- Take a cooking class: The city offers a range of cooking classes, including classes for children and adults.
- Go ice skating: The Long Beach Ice Arena is located just a few miles from Lakewood and offers public skating sessions.
- Visit the Los Angeles County Museum of Art: The Los Angeles County Museum of Art is located about 20 miles from Lakewood and features a collection of over 150,000 works of art.
- Take a yoga class: Lakewood has several yoga studios that offer classes for all skill levels.
- Attend a live performance: The Carpenter Performing Arts Center is located just a few miles from Lakewood and features a range of live performances, including theater, dance, and music.
- Visit the California Science Center: The California Science Center is located about 20 miles from Lakewood and features a range of interactive exhibits and displays.
- Go to the beach: Lakewood is located just a few miles from the beach, and there are several public beaches in the area.
- Take a pottery class: The city offers a range of pottery classes, including wheel throwing and hand-building.
- Visit the Getty Center: The Getty Center is located about 25 miles from Lakewood and features a collection of European and American art.
- Go to a local festival: Lakewood hosts several festivals throughout the year, including a summer concert series, a Halloween festival, and a holiday parade.
- Take a photography class: The city offers a range of photography classes, including classes for beginners and advanced photographers.
- Visit the Museum of Latin American Art: The Museum of Latin American Art is located just a few miles from Lakewood and features a collection of contemporary Latin American art.
- Go to a local sports game: Lakewood is home to several youth sports leagues, and there are also several high school and college sports teams in the area.
- Take a painting class: The city offers a range of painting classes, including classes
- Visit the Rancho Los Cerritos Historic Site: The Rancho Los Cerritos is a historic site located just a few miles from Lakewood that features a restored adobe home and gardens.
- Go on a brewery tour: Lakewood has several local breweries that offer tours and tastings.
- Attend a concert at the Hollywood Bowl: The Hollywood Bowl is located about 25 miles from Lakewood and features a range of live performances, including concerts by the Los Angeles Philharmonic.
- Go horseback riding: The nearby El Dorado Park Equestrian Center offers horseback riding lessons and trail rides.
- Take a day trip to Disneyland: Disneyland is located about 25 miles from Lakewood and is a popular destination for families and visitors of all ages.