Joliet is a city located in Will County, Illinois, United States. With a population of approximately 147,000 people, it is the third-largest city in the state, after Chicago and Aurora. Joliet is located about 40 miles southwest of Chicago and is part of the Chicago metropolitan area.
The city is known for its rich history, with several historic landmarks and attractions located throughout the area. The Old Joliet Prison, which was in operation from 1858 to 2002, is now open for tours and has been used as a filming location for several movies and TV shows.
Joliet is also home to the Chicagoland Speedway and Route 66 Raceway, two popular motorsports venues that host NASCAR and other racing events throughout the year. The Rialto Square Theatre is another popular attraction, with a beautiful historic theater that hosts a variety of concerts, plays, and other events.
For outdoor enthusiasts, Joliet offers several parks and nature preserves, including the Rock Run Preserve, which offers hiking, biking, and horseback riding trails. The City Center Park features a skate park, playgrounds, and a splash pad for children. The Des Plaines River Trail offers miles of scenic hiking and biking trails along the river.
In addition to its attractions, Joliet is also home to a variety of restaurants, breweries, and shopping destinations. The Joliet Area Historical Museum offers a glimpse into the city’s past, while the Joliet Iron Works Historic Site features the remnants of an old iron works plant.
Overall, Joliet offers a variety of attractions and activities for visitors to enjoy, whether they are interested in history, motorsports, outdoor recreation, or shopping and dining.
Here are 30 fun things to do in Joliet, Illinois:
- Tour the Old Joliet Prison: Take a guided tour of the historic prison that has been featured in several movies and TV shows.
- Visit the Rialto Square Theatre: This beautiful historic theater hosts concerts, plays, and other events throughout the year.
- Check out the Joliet Area Historical Museum: Learn about the city’s rich history through exhibits and artifacts.
- Watch a race at Chicagoland Speedway: This popular motorsports venue hosts NASCAR and other racing events.
- Explore the Route 66 Raceway: Another popular racing venue that hosts a variety of events.
- Visit the Joliet Iron Works Historic Site: See the remnants of an old iron works plant.
- Hike the trails at the Rock Run Preserve: This nature preserve offers hiking, biking, and horseback riding trails.
- Relax at City Center Park: This park features a skate park, playgrounds, and a splash pad for kids.
- Go fishing at Lake Renwick: This lake offers fishing opportunities and beautiful views.
- Visit the Joliet Farmers Market: This outdoor market features local vendors selling fresh produce, crafts, and more.
- See a movie at the Cinemark Louis Joliet Mall: This theater complex features comfortable seating and the latest movies.
- Take a stroll through the Pilcher Park Nature Center: This park offers hiking trails and a nature center with live animals.
- Play a round of golf at Inwood Golf Course: This public golf course offers 18 holes and beautiful views.
- Check out the Louis Joliet Mall: This shopping center features a variety of stores and restaurants.
- Visit the Joliet Public Library: This library offers a variety of books, events, and resources for the community.
- Play a game of bowling at the Brunswick Zone: This bowling alley features modern lanes and arcade games.
- Learn about science at the SciTech Hands-On Museum: This interactive museum features exhibits and activities for kids and adults.
- Take a cooking class at the Joliet Junior College Culinary Arts Center: This center offers a variety of classes for aspiring chefs.
- See a performance at the Joliet Drama Guild: This community theater group puts on plays and musicals throughout the year.
- Check out the Joliet Slammers baseball team: This minor league team plays at the Joliet Route 66 Stadium.
- Visit the Silver Cross Field: This baseball stadium is home to the Joliet JackHammers baseball team.
- Take a yoga class at the Essence of Life Yoga Studio: This studio offers a variety of classes for all levels.
- Visit the Jacob Henry Mansion Estate: This historic mansion offers tours and hosts events throughout the year.
- See a concert at the Joliet Memorial Stadium: This outdoor stadium hosts concerts and other events.
- Take a brewery tour at MyGrain Brewing Company: This brewery offers tours and tastings of their craft beers.
- Check out the exhibits at the Joliet Junior College Art Gallery: This gallery features works by local and regional artists.
- Visit the Billie Limacher Bicentennial Park and Theatre: This park features a theater, walking paths, and picnic areas.
- Explore the Joliet Area Theatre Organ Enthusiasts’ Theatre: This theater features a historic pipe organ and hosts concerts and events.
- Go ice skating at the Inwood Ice Arena: This ice rink offers public skating sessions and lessons.
- Take a tour of the Joliet Fire Museum: This museum showcases the history of the Joliet Fire Department and firefighting equipment.