Fresno is a city located in the central part of California, in the San Joaquin Valley. With a population of over 500,000 people, it is the fifth-largest city in California and the largest inland city in the state.
Fresno is known for its agricultural production, particularly for its role in the production of fruits and vegetables such as grapes, figs, almonds, and tomatoes. The city is also home to California State University, Fresno, and Fresno City College, which are both major educational institutions in the region.
In terms of attractions, Fresno is home to a variety of museums, parks, and cultural centers. Some notable landmarks include the Fresno Chaffee Zoo, the Forestiere Underground Gardens, and the Tower Theatre. Additionally, the city is located near several national parks, including Yosemite National Park and Kings Canyon National Park, which are popular destinations for outdoor enthusiasts.
Here are 25 fun things to do in Fresno City
- Visit the Fresno Chaffee Zoo – This zoo is home to over 190 species of animals and offers a variety of exhibits, shows, and activities.
- Explore the Forestiere Underground Gardens – These underground gardens were hand-built by an Italian immigrant and are a unique attraction in Fresno.
- See a show at the Tower Theatre – This historic theater hosts concerts, films, and other live performances throughout the year.
- Visit the Fresno Art Museum – This museum features a variety of rotating exhibits and a permanent collection of California art.
- Take a trip to Yosemite National Park – Located just a few hours from Fresno, Yosemite is a popular destination for hiking, camping, and other outdoor activities.
- Go to the Fresno County Blossom Trail – This scenic trail is best visited in the spring, when the fruit and nut trees are in full bloom.
- Enjoy the Fresno Philharmonic – This professional orchestra offers a variety of concerts throughout the year, including classical, pops, and family-friendly shows.
- Explore the Kearney Mansion Museum – This historic mansion offers tours and exhibits about the history of Fresno and the San Joaquin Valley.
- Go shopping at the River Park Shopping Center – This outdoor mall features a variety of stores and restaurants, as well as a movie theater.
- Take a trip to the Fresno Art Hop – Held on the first Thursday of each month, this art event features galleries, studios, and other venues open to the public.
- Visit the Fresno State Winery – This winery, located on the campus of California State University, Fresno, offers tastings and tours of their award-winning wines.
- Attend the Fresno Greek Fest – Held annually in August, this festival celebrates Greek culture with food, music, and dancing.
- Take a hike in the San Joaquin River Gorge – This scenic area offers a variety of trails for hiking and biking.
- Visit the Meux Home Museum – This historic home offers tours and exhibits about life in Fresno during the early 20th century.
- Take a trip to the Fresno County Historical Museum – This museum offers exhibits and artifacts related to the history of Fresno County.
- Go to a Fresno Grizzlies game – This minor league baseball team is a popular attraction in Fresno, and their games are held at Chukchansi Park.
- Visit the Discovery Center – This science museum offers hands-on exhibits and activities for children and families.
- Attend the Fresno Fair – Held annually in October, this fair offers rides, games, exhibits, and concerts.
- Explore the Shinzen Friendship Garden – This Japanese garden offers a peaceful retreat in the heart of Fresno, with a koi pond, tea house, and other features.
- Visit the Downing Planetarium – This planetarium offers shows about astronomy and space exploration, as well as a variety of exhibits.
- Take a hot air balloon ride over Fresno – This is a unique way to see the city and the surrounding countryside.
- Go fishing at Woodward Park – This park features a lake stocked with fish, as well as hiking and biking trails, playgrounds, and other amenities.
- Attend a Fresno State Bulldogs football game – This college football team plays their home games at Bulldog Stadium.
- Visit the Fresno County Public Library – This library system offers a variety of programs, events, and resources for residents of Fresno.
- Go to the Fresno Food Expo – Held annually in July, this expo showcases the best in local food and agriculture.