Fort Collins is a city located in northern Colorado, United States. It is known for its vibrant arts scene, craft breweries, and outdoor recreation opportunities. It is also home to Colorado State University, which gives the city a college town feel.
The city has a population of approximately 170,000 people and is situated at the foothills of the Rocky Mountains. The city experiences all four seasons, with hot summers and cold winters.
Fort Collins is a popular destination for outdoor enthusiasts, with over 40 parks and natural areas, including Horsetooth Mountain Open Space and Poudre Canyon. The city also boasts an impressive bike trail network, with over 280 miles of bike lanes, trails, and routes.
The Old Town district in downtown Fort Collins is a popular destination for locals and tourists alike. It features a variety of shops, restaurants, and bars, as well as numerous cultural and community events throughout the year.
Overall, Fort Collins offers a unique blend of outdoor recreation, cultural attractions, and college town charm, making it a great place to visit or call home.
Top 30 Fun Things to do in About Fort Collins City
- Hike Horsetooth Mountain Open Space: This natural area offers stunning views of Fort Collins and the surrounding mountains, and features over 29 miles of trails for hiking and mountain biking.
- Tour the New Belgium Brewery: Fort Collins is home to several craft breweries, including New Belgium, which offers free tours and tastings of their famous beers.
- Visit the Fort Collins Museum of Discovery: This interactive museum features exhibits on science, technology, and history, and offers hands-on activities for visitors of all ages.
- Attend a concert at the Mishawaka Amphitheater: This outdoor venue, located in the Poudre Canyon, hosts concerts and events throughout the summer season.
- Explore Old Town Fort Collins: This historic district in downtown Fort Collins features numerous shops, restaurants, and bars, as well as cultural and community events.
- Bike the Poudre River Trail: This scenic trail follows the Poudre River and features over 21 miles of paved paths for cycling, walking, and running.
- Visit the Gardens on Spring Creek: This botanical garden features a variety of plants and flowers, as well as educational programs and events throughout the year.
- Take a whitewater rafting trip: The Cache la Poudre River, located just outside of Fort Collins, offers exciting whitewater rafting trips for all skill levels.
- Attend a Colorado State University football game: CSU is the city’s largest employer and the football games draw large crowds of enthusiastic fans.
- Take a horseback ride in the mountains: Several companies in the area offer guided horseback rides through the nearby mountains.
- Visit the Fort Collins Farmers’ Market: This popular market features local produce, artisanal goods, and live music.
- Play a round of golf at one of the city’s many courses: Fort Collins is home to several golf courses, including the award-winning City Park Nine.
- Attend the Colorado Brewers’ Festival: This annual event showcases the best of Colorado’s craft beer scene, with over 50 breweries and live music.
- Tour the Avery House: This historic home in downtown Fort Collins offers a glimpse into the city’s past, with guided tours and educational programs.
- Take a cooking class: Several local businesses offer cooking classes and workshops, featuring a variety of cuisines and techniques.
- Attend a Colorado Eagles hockey game: The Eagles are a minor league hockey team based in Fort Collins, and their games are always action-packed and exciting.
- Go rock climbing: The Horsetooth Reservoir area features several excellent climbing spots for all levels, with stunning views of the surrounding landscape.
- Visit the Swetsville Zoo: This quirky roadside attraction features a collection of sculptures made from recycled materials, including a giant spider and a UFO.
- Take a hot air balloon ride: See Fort Collins from a new perspective by taking a hot air balloon ride over the city and surrounding mountains.
- Attend the Bohemian Nights at NewWestFest: This free, three-day music festival features over 80 Colorado bands and takes place in downtown Fort Collins.
- Visit the Fort Collins Trolley Museum: Learn about the history of the city’s trolley system, with exhibits and tours of the museum’s collection of vintage trolleys.
- Take a yoga class: Fort Collins has several yoga studios offering a variety of classes, from gentle restorative yoga to challenging vinyasa flows.
- Attend the Colorado Marathon: This annual marathon and half marathon takes place in Fort Collins, with scenic views of the mountains and countryside.
- Visit the Fort Collins Lincoln Center: This performing arts venue hosts a variety of events, including theater productions, concerts, and dance performances.
- Visit the Fort Collins Symphony Orchestra: This local orchestra performs a variety of classical and contemporary music throughout the year.
- Take a scenic drive up the Poudre Canyon: This winding mountain road offers breathtaking views of the canyon and the surrounding mountains.
- Go ice skating: The Edora Pool and Ice Center features two ice rinks for public skating, as well as figure skating and ice hockey programs.
- Attend a film festival: Fort Collins is home to several film festivals throughout the year, including the NoCo Short Film Festival and the Fort Collins Film Festival.
- Explore the Soapstone Prairie Natural Area: This nature preserve features over 28,000 acres of grasslands and wetlands, as well as hiking and biking trails and opportunities for wildlife viewing.
- Visit the Gardens on Spring Creek: This botanical garden and nature center offers a variety of exhibits and programs for all ages, as well as a beautiful outdoor space to explore and enjoy.