El Paso is a city located in western Texas, United States, and is the county seat of El Paso County. It is situated along the Rio Grande, across the border from the Mexican city of Juarez. El Paso is the sixth-largest city in Texas and the 22nd-largest city in the United States, with a population of over 682,000 people as of the 2020 U.S. Census.
El Paso has a rich cultural history and is known for its blend of Mexican and American culture. It has a warm desert climate with hot summers and mild winters. The city has a diverse economy, with a strong presence in healthcare, education, and the military. Fort Bliss, one of the largest military installations in the United States, is located in El Paso.
El Paso is also a major transportation hub, with Interstate 10, US Highway 54, and US Highway 62 all passing through the city. The city is served by the El Paso International Airport, which offers direct flights to many major cities in the United States.
El Paso is known for its many cultural attractions, including the Plaza Theatre, the El Paso Museum of Art, and the El Paso Museum of History. The city also hosts a number of festivals and events throughout the year, such as the El Paso Balloon Festival, the Neon Desert Music Festival, and the Sun City Pridefest.
El Paso is located in close proximity to several outdoor attractions, including the Franklin Mountains State Park, the Hueco Tanks State Park, and the Guadalupe Mountains National Park. These parks offer opportunities for hiking, rock climbing, camping, and other outdoor activities.
In recent years, El Paso has also gained national attention due to a tragic mass shooting that occurred in 2019 at a local Walmart, which left 23 people dead and dozens more injured. Despite this tragedy, the city has continued to come together and support one another, showcasing the resilience and strength of its community.
- Visit the El Paso Museum of Art: See an impressive collection of art from around the world, including works by local artists.
- Explore the El Paso Zoo: See animals from all over the world, including lions, tigers, and bears.
- Take a hike in Franklin Mountains State Park: Enjoy stunning views of the surrounding desert landscape on one of the many hiking trails.
- Visit the National Border Patrol Museum: Learn about the history of the U.S. Border Patrol and the role they play in securing the nation’s borders.
- Take a ride on the Wyler Aerial Tramway: Enjoy breathtaking views of the Franklin Mountains on this cable car ride.
- Visit the El Paso Museum of History: Learn about the rich history of El Paso and the surrounding region.
- Check out the El Paso Symphony Orchestra: Enjoy a live performance by this world-class orchestra.
- Visit the El Paso Holocaust Museum and Study Center: Learn about the atrocities of the Holocaust and the importance of tolerance and acceptance.
- Explore the Chamizal National Memorial: Learn about the history of the border between the United States and Mexico at this national park.
- Take a scenic drive on Transmountain Road: Enjoy stunning views of the surrounding mountains on this scenic drive.
- Visit the Magoffin Home State Historic Site: Learn about the history of the Magoffin family and their impact on the region.
- Explore the Centennial Museum and Chihuahuan Desert Gardens: See a collection of artifacts and exhibits related to the natural and cultural history of the region.
- Go on a wine tasting tour in nearby New Mexico: Visit the many wineries in nearby New Mexico and sample their offerings.
- Take a walk through the historic Ysleta Mission: Visit one of the oldest churches in the United States and learn about its rich history.
- Visit the El Paso Scottish Rite Temple: See the beautiful architecture and learn about the history of this historic building.
- Attend a performance at the Plaza Theatre: Enjoy a live performance at this historic theater.
- Explore the Hueco Tanks State Park: Go rock climbing or hiking in this beautiful desert park.
- Take a tour of the Fort Bliss Army Base: Learn about the history of this important military installation and see the equipment and facilities used by soldiers.
- Visit the El Paso Railroad and Transportation Museum: Learn about the history of the railroad and its impact on the development of El Paso.
- Check out the El Paso Streetcar: Take a ride on this historic streetcar and see the sights of downtown El Paso.
- Attend a game of the El Paso Chihuahuas: Cheer on the local minor league baseball team at Southwest University Park.
- Visit the El Paso Public Library: Check out a book or attend a lecture or workshop at this important community institution.
- Go shopping in the El Paso Downtown Arts District: Check out the many boutiques, galleries, and restaurants in this trendy neighborhood.
- Attend the El Paso Downtown Street Festival: Enjoy live music, food, and fun at this annual festival.
- Visit the Franklin Mountains Wilderness Park: Explore this vast wilderness area on foot or on horseback.
- Take a tour of the UTEP campus: Learn about the history of the University of Texas at El Paso and see its beautiful architecture.
- Check out the El Paso Comic Con: Attend this annual convention celebrating all things comic books, science fiction, and fantasy.
- Explore the El Paso Mission Trail: Visit the many historic missions in the region and learn about their impact on the history of El Paso.