Clarksville is a city in Montgomery County, Tennessee, United States. It is located near the border with Kentucky and is home to Austin Peay State University, a four-year public university. The city has a rich history and was a key site during the Civil War, serving as a supply line for the Union army.
Clarksville is also known for its vibrant arts scene, with a variety of cultural institutions and events throughout the year. It is also home to many parks and outdoor recreational areas, including the nearby Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area.
In addition, Clarksville is a growing city with a diverse population and a variety of dining and shopping options. It has a strong military presence due to its proximity to Fort Campbell, which is home to the 101st Airborne Division of the U.S. Army.
Overall, Clarksville is a city with a lot to offer, from its history and culture to its natural beauty and outdoor activities.
Top 30 Fun Things to do in About Clarksville City
- Visit the Customs House Museum and Cultural Center – this museum features exhibits on local history, art, and science.
- Explore Dunbar Cave State Park – a park with hiking trails, picnic areas, and a limestone cave that you can tour.
- Attend a performance at the Roxy Regional Theatre – a historic theater that hosts a variety of plays, musicals, and other shows.
- Take a stroll through McGregor Park – a beautiful riverfront park with walking paths, picnic areas, and a playground.
- Visit Fort Defiance Civil War Park and Interpretive Center – a historic site that was used as a Confederate fort during the Civil War.
- Go fishing or boating on the Cumberland River – a great way to enjoy the beautiful scenery and wildlife in the area.
- Play a round of golf at one of the city’s many golf courses, such as Swan Lake Golf Course or Eastland Green Golf Course.
- Enjoy a meal at one of Clarksville’s many restaurants, such as Blackhorse Pub and Brewery or Strawberry Alley Ale Works.
- Attend the Riverfest music festival – an annual event featuring live music, food vendors, and a fireworks display.
- Visit the Queen City Road Race – a popular annual event that includes a 5K and 10K race.
- Explore the Downtown Artists Co-op – a cooperative gallery featuring works by local artists.
- Attend a concert or show at the Beachaven Vineyards and Winery – a local winery that hosts a variety of events throughout the year.
- Take a walking tour of the historic downtown area, which includes many buildings from the 19th and early 20th centuries.
- Go shopping at Governor’s Square Mall or one of the many boutiques and specialty shops in the city.
- Explore the trails and outdoor recreation areas at the nearby Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area.
- Attend a sporting event at Austin Peay State University, such as a football or basketball game.
- Take a day trip to nearby Nashville, Tennessee, to explore the city’s music and culture.
- Visit the Smith-Trahern Mansion – a historic mansion that has been restored and is open for tours.
- Take a bike ride on the Clarksville Greenway – a network of bike trails that winds through the city and surrounding areas.
- Go rock climbing at the Indoor Rock Climbing Gym – a fun and challenging activity for all ages.
- Attend the Rivers and Spires Festival – a three-day event featuring live music, food vendors, and family-friendly activities.
- Take a scenic drive through the countryside surrounding Clarksville, which features beautiful rolling hills and farmland.
- Go horseback riding at Dunbar Cave Riding Stables – a great way to enjoy the natural beauty of the area.
- Visit the Customs House Museum and Cultural Center for their annual Christmas exhibit, which features over 50 Christmas trees decorated by local organizations.
- Attend the River and Roots Festival – a celebration of Southern culture that includes live music, food vendors, and a crafts fair.
- Explore the history of the area at the Montgomery County Historical Society Museum.
- Take a cooking class at the Downtown Commons Farmers Market, which features fresh produce and locally made food products.
- Attend the annual Christmas on the Cumberland event, which features a walk-through light display along the riverfront.
- Take a tour of the historic Collinsville district, which includes many well-preserved homes and buildings from the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
- Attend the annual Rivers and Spires Hot Air Balloon Festival, which features hot air balloon rides, live music, and food vendors.