Billings is a city in the south-central part of the state of Montana in the United States. It is the largest city in Montana, with a population of approximately 110,000 people as of the 2020 census. Billings serves as a hub for commerce and transportation in the region, as well as a center for education and healthcare.
Billings is known for its stunning natural beauty, including the nearby Yellowstone River and the Rimrocks, a series of sandstone cliffs that overlook the city. The city is also a popular destination for outdoor recreation, with numerous parks and hiking trails in the surrounding area.
Billings is home to several notable landmarks, including the Western Heritage Center, the Yellowstone Art Museum, and the Moss Mansion, a historic mansion that has been preserved as a museum. The city is also known for its vibrant arts and cultural scene, with numerous theaters, music venues, and art galleries.
In recent years, Billings has undergone significant growth and development, with the expansion of the city’s healthcare industry and the construction of new housing developments and commercial centers.
- Visit the Pictograph Cave State Park: This state park features ancient pictographs and petroglyphs, as well as hiking trails and interpretive exhibits.
- Take a hike on the Zimmerman Park Trail: This scenic hiking trail offers stunning views of the city and surrounding countryside.
- Explore the Yellowstone Art Museum: The museum features a collection of contemporary art, as well as rotating exhibitions and educational programs.
- Visit the Moss Mansion Historic House Museum: This historic mansion has been preserved as a museum and offers tours and educational programs.
- Go fishing on the Yellowstone River: The Yellowstone River is a popular destination for fishing and offers a variety of fish species.
- Visit the Western Heritage Center: This museum features exhibits and artifacts related to the history and culture of the American West.
- Take a scenic drive along the Beartooth Highway: This scenic highway offers stunning views of the surrounding mountains and countryside.
- Check out the exhibits at the Yellowstone County Museum: This museum features exhibits related to the history and culture of Yellowstone County.
- Visit the Yellowstone Wildlife Sanctuary: This wildlife sanctuary is home to a variety of rescued animals, including bears, wolves, and birds of prey.
- Go skiing or snowboarding at the Red Lodge Mountain Resort: This ski resort offers a variety of ski runs and other winter activities.
- Take a tour of the Rimrocks: The Rimrocks are a series of sandstone cliffs that overlook the city and offer stunning views of the surrounding countryside.
- Visit the Billings Depot: This historic train depot has been restored and preserved as a community event center and museum.
- Take a scenic drive along the Beartooth Scenic Byway: This scenic byway offers stunning views of the surrounding mountains and countryside.
- Visit the Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument: This national monument features exhibits and interpretive programs related to the Battle of Little Bighorn.
- Attend a concert or performance at the Alberta Bair Theater: This performing arts center hosts a variety of concerts, plays, and other performances throughout the year.
- Go birdwatching at the Four Dances Natural Area: This nature area is home to a variety of bird species and offers hiking trails and scenic views.
- Take a tour of the Moss Mansion Christmas Decorations: During the holiday season, the Moss Mansion is decorated with elaborate Christmas decorations and offers special tours.
- Visit the Yellowstone County Farmers Market: This farmers market offers fresh produce, handmade crafts, and other local goods.
- Take a hot air balloon ride: Several companies offer hot air balloon rides over the city and surrounding countryside.
- Attend a rodeo at the MontanaFair: This annual fair features a variety of rodeo events, as well as carnival rides and other attractions.
- Visit the Yellowstone Gateway Museum: This museum features exhibits and artifacts related to the history and culture of the Yellowstone River Valley.
- Take a tour of the historic Billings Cemetery: This historic cemetery features the graves of many notable figures from Billings’ past.
- Go golfing at the Lake Hills Golf Club: This golf course offers stunning views of the surrounding mountains and countryside.
- Attend a game or concert at the First Interstate Arena: This multi-purpose arena hosts a variety of sporting events, concerts, and other performances.
- Visit the Yellowstone River Art Market: This outdoor art market features works by local artists and craftsmen.
- Go mountain biking on the Billings Trail System: The Billings Trail System offers a network of mountain biking trails with varying difficulty levels.
- Attend the Strawberry Festival: This annual festival features live music, food vendors, and other attractions.
- Visit the DanWalt Gardens: These botanical gardens feature a variety of plants and flowers, as well as sculptures and other art installations.
- Take a tour of the Yellowstone Kelly Interpretive Site: This interpretive site features exhibits and artifacts related to the life and legacy of Yellowstone Kelly, a legendary frontier scout.
- Attend a performance at the NOVA Center for the Performing Arts: This performing arts center hosts a variety of theater productions, musical performances, and other events throughout the year.