Aurora is a city located in the northeastern part of the state of Illinois, in the United States. It is the second-largest city in the state, after Chicago, with a population of approximately 200,000 people. Aurora is part of the Chicago metropolitan area and is located about 40 miles west of downtown Chicago.
Aurora has a rich history and cultural heritage. The city was founded in 1834 and was originally a small farming community. However, it quickly grew into a major industrial center, with factories and mills producing everything from textiles to farm equipment.
Today, Aurora is a diverse and vibrant city with a thriving arts and culture scene. It is home to several museums, including the Aurora Regional Fire Museum and the Aurora Historical Society Museum. The city also hosts several festivals and events throughout the year, such as the Aurora Farmers Market and the Aurora Hispanic Heritage Festival.
In addition to its cultural attractions, Aurora also offers a wide range of outdoor activities. The city has over 200 parks, including the Blackberry Farm and Phillips Park Zoo. Aurora also has several golf courses, hiking and biking trails, and opportunities for water sports on the nearby Fox River.
Aurora is also a major business and economic center. It is home to several large corporations, including Caterpillar Inc., OSI Group, and Hollywood Casino Aurora. The city also has a growing healthcare industry, with several hospitals and medical centers located in the area.
Here are the top 18 fun things to do in Aurora City
- Visit the Aurora Regional Fire Museum: The Aurora Regional Fire Museum showcases the history of firefighting in the Aurora area through exhibits, artifacts, and interactive displays.
- Explore the SciTech Hands-On Museum: The SciTech Hands-On Museum offers hands-on exhibits and activities for children and adults, focusing on science, technology, engineering, and math.
- See a show at the Paramount Theatre: The Paramount Theatre is a historic theater that hosts a variety of live performances, including Broadway shows, concerts, and comedy acts.
- Visit the Phillips Park Zoo: The Phillips Park Zoo is a small zoo located within Phillips Park, featuring a variety of animals, including big cats, primates, and birds.
- Take a stroll through the Riverfront Playhouse: The Riverfront Playhouse is a community theater that showcases local talent in a variety of productions throughout the year.
- Explore Blackberry Farm: Blackberry Farm is a living history museum that showcases the lifestyle of early settlers in the area, with demonstrations, exhibits, and activities for all ages.
- Enjoy the outdoors at Phillips Park: Phillips Park is a large park that offers a variety of outdoor activities, including hiking and biking trails, fishing, boating, and picnic areas.
- Go shopping at Chicago Premium Outlets: The Chicago Premium Outlets offer a wide variety of name-brand stores and designer outlets at discounted prices.
- Visit the Aurora Historical Society Museum: The Aurora Historical Society Museum showcases the history and culture of Aurora through exhibits, artifacts, and special events.
- Attend a concert at RiverEdge Park: RiverEdge Park is an outdoor concert venue that hosts a variety of live music events throughout the summer.
- Take a cooking class at the Ginger and Soul Cooking School: The Ginger and Soul Cooking School offers a variety of cooking classes, from beginner to advanced, with a focus on international cuisine.
- Go on a wine tour at the Fox Valley Winery: The Fox Valley Winery offers wine tastings and tours of their vineyard and winery, with a focus on Illinois-grown grapes.
- Visit the Aurora Farmers Market: The Aurora Farmers Market is open from June through October and offers fresh produce, baked goods, and artisanal products from local vendors.
- See a movie at the Tivoli Theatre: The Tivoli Theatre is a historic movie theater that screens classic and independent films, as well as live theater events.
- Explore the Aurora Public Art Commission: The Aurora Public Art Commission showcases public art throughout the city, with murals, sculptures, and installations in various locations.
- Visit the Aurora Fox Arts Center: The Aurora Fox Arts Center is a performing arts venue that showcases local and national talent in theater, dance, and music.
- Take a yoga class at the Prana Yoga Center: The Prana Yoga Center offers a variety of yoga classes, from beginner to advanced, with a focus on mindfulness and wellness.
- Go bowling at Parkside Lanes: Parkside Lanes offers bowling, billiards, and arcade